FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mainsheet tangles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mainsheet tangles
    Posted: 11 May 16 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by realnutter

Graham, is the Minisprint wholly or partly centre sheeted? My Minisail was stern sheeted, but I swapped the pulleys, and ran the sheet forwards, and now sail with it coming from the forward block on the boom... Haven't had any sheet/seat interface issues (yet).

TBH I can't remember I've switched it that many times, I'll know later, I'm firing her up tonight, wednesday night lake series, time to out bandit the bandits..
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 16 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by iGRF

... but it found jamming itself under the sliding seat then tipping me into windward f-ing hilarious.

An even better one is sheet jammed in sliding seat while on end of plank. Can't release sheet without coming off plank, can't come off plank without releasing sheet.

Ha.. I think it was a bit like that, I had to come off the plank to get it out then sat straight back to where the plank should have been but wasn't.. Splash.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 16 at 6:08pm
My Aquabat is rigged centre/aft, (Laser copy), this manages to find every snag point on boat, corners, top of rudder, joint between tiller and extension, feet, legs, itself, I capsized due to one of these issues and found the rope wrapped under my armpit and round my leg, rescue wanted to "cut" , I persuaded them it would be expensive if they did.
Minisprint is rigged 4to1 centre main, so far no "snag issues".
I started to design a retracting mainsheet system, similar to a tape measure, the reel would need to be on its side inside hull, so not suitable for every boat.
realnutter View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote realnutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 16 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by 423zero

I started to design a retracting mainsheet system, similar to a tape measure, the reel would need to be on its side inside hull, so not suitable for every boat.

I can't see that being nice to use.... you'd have a loop of sheet in your hand with tension on both ends...
Riv View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 16 at 6:27pm
When I had an IC,  I got so fed up with huge tangle of sheet in my lap and miles of it trailing behind  that I went from 4:1 to 2:1 sheeting off the boom and used a thicker mainsheet. 12mm I think! Much less rope and a success in most conditions.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 16 at 8:12pm
Real Nutter wrote "I can't see that being nice to use"
I had thought of this, when retraction not required, their would be a camcleat, you would play slack to suit.
The majority of mainsheet would be inside reel when beating and reaching.

Edited by 423zero - 11 May 16 at 8:12pm
Presuming Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Presuming Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 16 at 8:25pm
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 16 at 8:39pm
In my Laser I tied my mainsheet onto the toestrap. I did use 7mm rooster polilite as well.

In the 600 I had a 1ft long piece of elastic tied between the end of the mainsheet and the base of the mainsheet swivel.

In the 700 I used 9mm rooster polilite with the end of the mainsheet tied to the elastic holding the spinni pump handles up.

In the Grad and the OK I haven't tied it off.

OK 2129
RS200 411
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 16 at 8:09am
I use 9mm Rooster Polilite which does what it says and does not tangle.  I don't tie it off in my Solo or Yawl, but I am quite keen to cut it off as short as it can be, which is just so that I am holding the end, with me at the transom, and the boom against the shrouds with some kicker off.  

Or you could cut a little off each week and note the final length, so you know what you need when reordering.  

I think that if you tie it off you will end up with more rope than you need, and potentially a bit of a mess and a compromised stance in the boat when sailing downhill in a big blow.

I used to elastic the tail to the base of the Harken swivel in the 14, when there was a greater need for the main sheet to be where you wanted it, and the tail could wash out of the open transom if it was not attached.

The only complaint ref. Polilite is that the case can wear through quite unexpectedly on the ratchet block, I now end for end the main sheet before it gets to this point.

You will be asking about continuous jib sheets next ...
Happily living in the past
gordon1277 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 16 at 8:18am
Hi David
Unlikely to be asking about jib sheets as I was talking about a Phantom!
But when it comes to jib sheet tangles no contest FD wins every time when you add in continuos trapeze and cleats that you open by flicking down it can turn into a nightmare at every tack.
Gordon
Lossc
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>