FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ways the RYA corporation has failed your club.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ways the RYA corporation has failed your club.
    Posted: 06 May 16 at 9:44am
I think it's time for a bit more RYA bashing.. Since today my local paper carried a double page spread for push the boat out, something our training guys diligently pursue each year and once again locally we're tied in with the Hythe Festival offering taster courses and the like.
Needless to say every other commercial club/sailing corporation is featured whereas the two genuine local clubs, us and the Redoubt? No mention.

Will we be asked to take it up with them? Even if we did what would the jobsworths worry? It's such a shame such a fine body that stood for so long as an amateur committee lead body many of us have served on and supported over the years ,is now just another business with all the incumbent inefficiency such organisations often descend into when employees become transient and or lack the basic enthusiasm for the pursuit in which they are involved.

Morning Rant over..
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 16 at 10:41am
Although I often am inclined to take a poke at the RYA, they can offer a lot, but clubs don't know what is on offer or don't ask.  And in some cases the general club membership are unaware that their Flag Officers, Committee or Secretariate have not engaged with what is on offer.  It might be worth your club touching base with your regional RYA rep to find out how the RYA can help.

The RYA also send out an e-letter to club officers which many are oblivious to.

It would be interesting to run a thread that does not malign the RYA but asks, what could the RYA do to improve dinghy racing that it is not doing now? There is a chance that they might notice though probably best not to turn it into a PY thread.

My personal beef with the RYA is that there is no national scheme to get good coaching to those that are older than 21 or are neither disabled or Olympic aspirants.  As a class within a club we have employed coaches directly and this has been very well received.  The RYA should facilitate this to keep regular middle aged sailors engaged with the sport.  Of course this might already be available but might be poorly communicated.

Happily living in the past
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 16 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by davidyacht

My personal beef with the RYA is that there is no national scheme to get good coaching to those that are older than 21 or are neither disabled or Olympic aspirants.  As a class within a club we have employed coaches directly and this has been very well received.  The RYA should facilitate this to keep regular middle aged sailors engaged with the sport.  Of course this might already be available but might be poorly communicated.

+1.
Some classes provide some coaching, but it seems to depend on the goodwill of a small number of individuals.
There are not all that many people who are good coaches IMHO, and most of them are very busy people with jobs and their own sailing.
I'm very grateful to those who have put effort into RS 400 coaching.

I guess it would be quite expensive if someone of such calibre was doing it to pay the mortgage?
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 16 at 9:41pm
Those coaches are usually RYA trained. Why should you expect to get them free, when you are pursuing a hobby? Kids are lucky, sailability enabling and the Olympics funded by money that would never be made available to middle-aged weekend sailors. Whether the Olympic money would be better spent elsewhere is certainly open to debate, but I'd suggest that spending it all on us isn't better spending.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 16 at 11:05pm
I don't expect coaches to be free, just that the availability of good coaching should be facilitated ... If you golf you engage a pro to improve your game, if you ski you can engage a ski instructor to improve your technique, yet I have only engaged sailing coaches in my 50's on our class/club initiative.  I have learnt more in the last 5 years than in the previous 30 due to coaches and a more analytical approach to my sailing.  I wish I had known then what I know now ... And I wish that this had been facilitated by the RYA.
Happily living in the past
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 16 at 11:32pm
Club coach scheme?
Bootscooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bootscooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 16 at 12:15am
http://www.rya.org.uk/coursestraining/coachestrainersinstructors/racecoaches/Pages/Howtobecomearacingcoach.aspx
Dougaldog View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dougaldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 16 at 9:21am
We've now two very similar threads running at the same time - comments made on one are equally valid on t'other. To me it just seems crazy that the RYA will leap through hoops for Youth, Disabled, Olympic and any other subset, but they can seem oblivious to the needs of the great unwashed grassroots. There are a lot of very vocal apologists for this, I can hear the shouts at "look at what they have done for us" from here but in terms of providing some support, direction and understanding, the disconnect between the organisation and the every weekend aspect of the sport is highlighted, as has been said, by the magazine. When did you last see anything containing critical comment in the mag?
Dougal H
zippyRN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zippyRN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 16 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Dougaldog

We've now two very similar threads running at the same time - comments made on one are equally valid on t'other. To me it just seems crazy that the RYA will leap through hoops for Youth, Disabled, Olympic and any other subset, but they can seem oblivious to the needs of the great unwashed grassroots. There are a lot of very vocal apologists for this, I can hear the shouts at "look at what they have done for us" from here but in terms of providing some support, direction and understanding, the disconnect between the organisation and the every weekend aspect of the sport is highlighted, as has been said, by the magazine. When did you last see anything containing critical comment in the mag?

and Clubs, RTEs  and Class associations  have no  accountability in this ?

Daniel Holman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 16 at 7:56pm
What exactly have the Romans ever done for us!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>