FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

build it your self

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
big man is back View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote big man is back Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: build it your self
    Posted: 27 Nov 05 at 4:28pm

wouldnt it be good if y&y did some research into building your own boat like a cherub and did an article on the website or over a few issues in the mag on how to build it and the costs. what do you all think?

Edited by big man is back
maybe theres more to life than being really really really really..........really good looking
49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 05 at 4:39pm
Sounds like a really good idea because as well as covering how to build a boat, it would also cover how to repair boats by covering the basics of construction techniques. The Cherub class already have some really good articles on their site but it would be good to see this sort of thing in Y&Y too.
Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 05 at 4:41pm
Ditto
Needs to sail more...
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote big man is back Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 05 at 5:43pm
i have seen the tips on the cherub site but i feel y&y with their skills could come up with a more detailed article. not only would it promote classes that you do it for but it would help get good sailors on a low budget into newer boats
maybe theres more to life than being really really really really..........really good looking
Isis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 05 at 6:02pm
A certain rival dinghy sailing magazine has run a number of similar features including a 3 part foam-sandwich national 12 feature written by Mike Cooke of Aardvark fame.

I personaly found it extremely interesting and although im no longer a subscriber of said magazine, its those features which I miss in Y&Y
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 05 at 10:39am
I think it would be more interesting if it wasn't just the hull that was
covered in an article. I would like to see subjects like - how to build
hydrofoils e.t.c in a detailed article. It's the sort of thing that many people
are thinking about but don't really want to cough up £2000 for the
pleasure of a little experimentation and fun. I am sure Full Force Boats
could help out with the copy and gain quite a bit of exposure in the
process with those that want to be competitive in the Moth fleet.

Edited by Jack Sparrow
Matt Jackson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 05 at 12:57pm

Rodney Pattison did a fantastic article about 20 years ago called 'Supercharging' (I still have a photocopy of it) which was about bringing an older dinghy (FD in this case) up to speed. It was especialy helpful to have someone of his calibre saying what was worth spending either time or money on.

I guess today the piece would be written by a boatbuilder and I don't think it would have the same appeal but it would still be interesting.

Laser 203001, Harrier (H+) 36
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote big man is back Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 05 at 6:38pm
im sure iv got a book on boat tuning by him and he mentions supercharging alot. any way. it would be a good idea for a wider variety than just hulls. but i think it would be good to see how a home built boat should be.
aardvark_issues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aardvark_issues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 05 at 6:21pm
Hardest part is always getting started - once you have basic principles down you can make anything with a bit of creativity! Ask some builders for some advice, most I know are pretty helpfull when getting started, even better if you are buying bits from them aswell to help grease the wheels (no thats not a shameless plug.)

Nice to think the Aardvark thing is almost fame...

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote big man is back Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 05 at 9:52pm
do you think that andy p would be interested in partaking in this article
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>