FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Single / Two hander for lightweight adults

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
jonathanv View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jonathanv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Single / Two hander for lightweight adults
    Posted: 11 Apr 16 at 6:36pm
I'm re-entering sailing after not having sailed for about 10 years. I'm looking for an open boat that I can progress in but also sail with my girlfriend who is just starting to learn how to sail. Also not looking to break the bank, so a good second-hand market would be nice. Low maintenance would be a plus too.

We are both around 1m70 / 5ft7 tall and weigh 55-60kg / 120-130lbs / 9-9.5 stone each, so we are a light crew.

I've looked at a Laser 2000 which seems to be a good boat to progress in; stable for while my girlfriend learns and then we can grow into adding the spinnaker. But probably too heavy for me to single hand I think (I expect I'd have trouble getting it up the slipway on my own...).

It would be nice if I could sail it single-handed but I understand I might be looking for too much in one boat, especially given my weight. In that case I'd really appreciate some suggestions for both a nice single hander and a two hander.

For a single-hander I've considered a Laser 4.7/Radial

For a two-hander
- as mentioned the L2K looks a nice fit
- the RS Feva I think is out of our weight range.
- the Vago looks like its in the right weight range but maybe a bit tricky for my girlfriend to start in (and I'm probably a bit rusty too)

Perhaps a Radial and a L2K? Seems like a good match and there's plenty of good deals on both. Or a Topper Topaz with all the rigging variations?

Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 16 at 7:11pm
Take a look at the Comet Versa, too.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 16 at 7:21pm
There's a lot to be said for a dedicated singlehander and using a club boat as the two hander.
sawman View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 16 at 8:07pm
The Miracle would be a great double hander for lightweights, as a boat it;s light and easily handled both on shore and on the water, but surprisingly capable, and once you are back in the sailing groove will give a great racing experience, an easy handled symmetric spinnaker is another skill to learn and will keep you both busy. They can be sailed single handed too. Low maintenance and low budget could be an issue, there aren't many GRP miracles around, although if taken care of a wooden boat need not be very high maintenance  - just keep on top of little jobs. There is a very tidy wooden boat for about £1k on the facebook page "dinghies and dinghy boats for sale", and my own FRP and wood composite is there too, but might be over your budget
jonathanv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jonathanv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 16 at 8:30pm
Thanks, I appreciate the broad answer and lateral thinking. I've sailed a Mirror originally and although I enjoy wooden boats, I'm less keen on owning them. Maybe I should clarify my budget: I can go for 2000 - 2500 if it's neat and complete but can't afford new (or very recent classes as they are probably above budget). I've seen a neat L2K from 2002 for about 2000.
patj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 16 at 9:03pm
The Lark is great if you want a good social scene in the class and cheap second hand boats that are GRP and easily maintained. Lots of ladies in the class too both helming and crewing so your girlfriend would be welcomed and encouraged.

Edited by patj - 11 Apr 16 at 9:06pm
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 16 at 9:53pm
2nd the Miracle. Simply a very nice boat for lightweights, versatile and performs equally well in both light and heavy breezes.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 16 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by jonathanv

Thanks, I appreciate the broad answer and lateral thinking. I've sailed a Mirror originally and although I enjoy wooden boats, I'm less keen on owning them. Maybe I should clarify my budget: I can go for 2000 - 2500 if it's neat and complete but can't afford new (or very recent classes as they are probably above budget). I've seen a neat L2K from 2002 for about 2000.

Better go for an L3k if you want to single hand it occasionally, I've seen them rigged and run single handed, cut my teeth in one with my daughter.
Oh and perlease don't listen to all that chatter about that sailing shoebox that is a Miracle it floats at all.

Edited by iGRF - 11 Apr 16 at 10:01pm
jonathanv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jonathanv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 16 at 10:54pm
Can someone speak to a Topaz Vibe? Weight range seems right and ability to upgrade the rig and use it as a trainer seems interesting. There are lots for sale I see too.

I'll take a look at the l3k too.
jonathanv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jonathanv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 16 at 11:32pm
OK, the L3k doesn't have much of a second hand market so I think I'll pass on that.

I had a look at a nice laser with 4.7 and Radial rigs but am still on the fence: would you recommend a different (plastic) singlehandedly for my weight (55-60kg) like a Topaz or RS?

For the 2 person, can anyone talk to the Vibe?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>