FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is your boat part of the Zombie apocalypse?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is your boat part of the Zombie apocalypse?
    Posted: 31 Mar 16 at 4:17pm
So a zombie is something returned from the dead.

Which naturally defines any number of dinghy classes that should have been buried long ago, but like frankenstein have been revived, in the cottage Industry that sprang up in the recession of commercial banditry, trading on a dated PY and or providing a commercial market for pro riders and sail makers, which is fair enough, just a pity they are not able to ply their trade on new builds/designs.

The List in no particular order

GP14
Miracle
Merlin
Osprey
Phantom
Solo
Streaker

That's just one not so magnifcent seven group foisted on folk for want of something better.

There must be more, or do you think different?
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 16 at 4:40pm
quit your bitching and come and join us.... 

PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 16 at 5:41pm
I wasn't aware that any of them had ever died?

That's just one not so magnifcent seven group foisted on folk for want of something better.

I know you really can't get your head round this, but some people really like sailing those boats, and think, with considerable justification, that the fact that are still around after a long and healthy life reflects their significant merit as boats to sail.

There are certainly boats on the market today that look interesting, and under different circumstances I might well consider seriously. However, for me the racing is far more important that what I sail and if I can sail a good boat in a fleet that gives me good racing and a good social group I'd far rather do that than sail a newer more perfect boat in a handicap fleet on my own - and spend my life as some seem to do complaining about the handicap system. Why bother?
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 16 at 5:43pm
I have 4 Zombie boats.
Minisail "Sprint"
Enterprise.
Aquabat (accepted by Minisail class association).
And possibly your worst nightmare, "Tinker Traveller".
sawman View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 16 at 6:37pm
with the possible exception  of the GP14, I'd have any of those, if they fitted my requirements. In fact I do own one of those and another that graham would no doubt, consider of the same ilk (Scorpion)

For the most part these classes have good turnouts.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 16 at 7:35pm
No, funnily enough I don't consider the Scorpion in that grouping, not at all, it must be the familiarity of it at Hythe which used to be Scorpion central and it's a shame there aint any left racing although one of our members still travels to their opens.

Now the Fireball on the other hand....

Edited by iGRF - 31 Mar 16 at 7:36pm
patj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 16 at 8:18pm
How can the Merlin Rocket have "returned from the dead" when it has been constantly evolving and moving forward for 70 years? The boats now bear little resemblance to those from the past and certainly haven't "returned" to what they were.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 16 at 10:08pm
4320, in grf's strange world, only the Enterprise could be a zombie boat of those you list. None of the others have been brought back to life in an updated form by a builder intent, in grf's mind, to cash in on the 3 years it takes for a yardstick to catch up with changes made to a boat. His mind is a small, bitter place to be, so best to visit as little as possible.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 16 at 10:19pm
Zombie boats are the undead trying to lure the unaware back to hades to sail the river styx in grf's strange world.
rogerd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 16 at 5:11pm
http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/188621/GP14-World-Championship-in-Barbados-day-3

Looks like the zombie boats are having a ball in Barbados
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>