FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is your boat part of the Zombie apocalypse?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is your boat part of the Zombie apocalypse?
    Posted: 10 Apr 16 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by JimC

My understanding is that the injection moulding was only practicable because it was also a technology demonstration, and the investment was written off against that.
I'm very out of date on this stuff and was never in that part of the plastics industry, but my understanding is that the tooling for injection moulding is way way more expensive than roto moulding (which I don't think really got going until the 80s for sophisticated fabrications)

Tens of thousands and you have to be pretty damn sure of some volume before committing, even the windsurf game had to give up on it eventually, couldn't get the numbers and I'm not sure but isn't the Topper blow moulded which is a stage more sophisticated than roto and it's polypropylene rather than polyethylene which I seem to recall from some dim and distant memory requires more complication?

Edited by iGRF - 10 Apr 16 at 7:30pm
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 16 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by iGRF

I'm wondering what an epoxy sandwich minisail with a decent sized centreboard and modern rig might go like.

Bat escaping the fires of hell springs to mind.

20kg hull, decent foils, sliding seat on rails to move fore and aft, carbon spars, really nice sail if you have some money to burn, it would be easy enough to find out. Isn't that the exact thing you are complaining of other classes doing? Get someone to tweak the design while you are about it, both to reflect modern thinking and to work better with the weight loss, too.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 16 at 7:48pm
Yes I guess it is, but, what other class has the wash through hull design, sliding seat option, potential for open rig design, it's not as if you're locking folk into anything, like perpetual self balers, daggerboards, like the streaker..

Edited by iGRF - 10 Apr 16 at 7:48pm
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 16 at 8:36pm
Topper website claim original design and tooling was a cool £1,000,000. 
The  mold pressure required is 1600 tons.
The price states from £2,795, they state for this you get cheapest most up to date racing dinghy in the world.
Graeme, Have you looked at design for "Meson" ?
This was the last design of Minisail family, it is mk2 Sprint without Plank turrets, this would give a platform for your design ideas, wings, masts etc.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 16 at 9:03pm
No, not come across a 'Meson' have you a link? Is it on the minisail site?
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 16 at 9:21pm
I don't think their were many built, probably single figures, their is one in process of restoration, centre board, wash through hull, better sliding plank mechanism, try a search on minisail site.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 16 at 9:38pm
Yep found that, nearly got wood poisoning watching it.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 16 at 9:45pm
You can build it light though, using wood, look at Moths, not sure if plans are available.
I may do a number on a Sprint mk2 hull, remove turrets, fit trampoline wings.
zippyRN View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zippyRN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 16 at 12:37am
Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by Rupert

Should Proctor have redesigned the Minisail for injection moulding too, as a larger version?

My understanding is that the injection moulding was only practicable because it was also a technology demonstration, and the investment was written off against that.
I'm very out of date on this stuff and was never in that part of the plastics industry, but my understanding is that the tooling for injection moulding is way way more expensive than roto moulding (which I don't think really got going until the 80s for sophisticated fabrications)

IIRC  the  length of the topper  is  the maximum that could be made with the  injection moudling machines in  question 
Presuming Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Presuming Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 16 at 9:10am
Does injection moulding tooling ever wear out? 

Edited by Presuming Ed - 11 Apr 16 at 9:11am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>