FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best buoyancy aid /life jacket for kids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ASok View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best buoyancy aid /life jacket for kids
    Posted: 28 Mar 16 at 9:18pm
Quick question - does anyone have a good recommendation for children's buoyancy aid or life jacket? Looking for my daughter who is 2.5yrs. Trying to get something comfy acknowledging that toddlers aren't going to like wearing them.
ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 16 at 5:00pm
Anyone?
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 16 at 5:10pm
Might be better off on the cruising forums...
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 16 at 5:20pm
2.5 is very young in terms of Buoyancy Aids... just out the baby ones.  

We found the Baltic ranges the least cumbersome, but don't expect a little 'un to like it.

When they're a bit bigger... i.e. 5ish, then Neil Pryde do some good cheap thinner ones without collars.   But then you really are weighing-up safety with comfort- depends on the sailing in question and is a personal choice.  

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 16 at 8:30pm
We stuck with crewsaver when they were that sort of age.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 16 at 8:26pm
Cheers for the replies. I'll have a look at those brands then. Not easy fitting them out in something that gets them involved without totally frustrating them with something too cumbersome
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 16 at 10:09pm
If they are small and will drown if they fall in and you can't reach them, cumbersome may just be what you need, sadly.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
patj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 16 at 6:44am
When ours were young, we had small motor cruisers/dayboats (stinkboats!) and we always ensured the children were clipped on so having large clip on rings on the lifejacket was essential. For dinghy sailing that may not be so good if capsizing is quite likely, but I wouldn't expect anyone would want to put little ones through that or they could be put off sailing for life!
zippyRN View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zippyRN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 16 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by turnturtle

2.5 is very young in terms of Buoyancy Aids... just out the baby ones.  

We found the Baltic ranges the least cumbersome, but don't expect a little 'un to like it.

When they're a bit bigger... i.e. 5ish, then Neil Pryde do some good cheap thinner ones without collars.   But then you really are weighing-up safety with comfort- depends on the sailing in question and is a personal choice.  

after the last time  i commented on such a thread and  raised the need for collars on  BAs and it;s  anatomical and physiological need,  for  younger  children  i'll  sit back and watch   rather than risk the wrath of OPs who cannot  read to comprehend. 
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 16 at 10:35pm
Ours had under straps so they couldn't slip through, can't remember brand they were hand-me-downs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>