FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

laser 4.7 or rs aero 5?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
William morris View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote William morris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: laser 4.7 or rs aero 5?
    Posted: 20 Mar 16 at 5:30pm
Hello, please can you help me. I'm looking for a first boat, i'm 13 but will be getting it for my 14th birthday. I am considering a laser 4.7/radial or an rs aero 5/7. I have to say there are more lasers at my club than rs aeros do that is pulling me toward it but and advice would be helpful! 
Thanks
turnturtle View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 16 at 7:35pm
Go with the club majority... They know what they're doing!
ventus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ventus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 16 at 8:10pm
If you're thinking of trying to get into the rya squad system, go with laser.
If your budget is at all limited, go with the laser.
If most of your mates are sailing lasers, go with the laser.

If none of the above are relevant. Just try both and get the one you like the best. :)
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 16 at 8:27pm
Ask yourself this question, are you thinking of making the sport your main defining activity, willing to forgo lots of other life pleasures in the hope of attaining Olympic glory, (can you remember the name of the last Laser Gold medallists?) Or do you just want to enjoy the moment for the next few years and have as much fun, as possible?

If it's the first then get the Laser, join the pecking order and try to work your way through it being browbeaten by RYA coaches and killjoys, if not, buy The Aero and just enjoy the fun of racing, learn at your own speed, pick it up as you go along and avoid anything with the words 'squad' 'coach' or 'training.

Daniel Holman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 16 at 10:10pm
D Zero blue?!

Van Mentz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Van Mentz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 16 at 7:46am
William

Which club do you belong to on the Island?
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 16 at 12:11pm
As Dan says consider the D-Zero blue too.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Phil_1193 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil_1193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 16 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by iGRF

Ask yourself this question, are you thinking of making the sport your main defining activity, willing to forgo lots of other life pleasures in the hope of attaining Olympic glory, (can you remember the name of the last Laser Gold medallists?) Or do you just want to enjoy the moment for the next few years and have as much fun, as possible?

If it's the first then get the Laser, join the pecking order and try to work your way through it being browbeaten by RYA coaches and killjoys, if not, buy The Aero and just enjoy the fun of racing, learn at your own speed, pick it up as you go along and avoid anything with the words 'squad' 'coach' or 'training.

OR

Ignore the above and get the (possibly cheaper) 4.7, play with the fleet in your local club, then, in 3 years time, when you learn to drive and find out what that thing between your legs is for and you don't get time to go sailing, a laser will be easier to sell and possibly hold its value better. Roll on another 4-5 years when you realise how much trouble driving and that thing between your legs can be, look at using your early Laser experience to realise for a fully grown adult a D- something/ Aero something is a better boat and buy one of those or something that fits your more adult frame (fat or thin)/ partner you now have in tow.

Assuming of course 10 years down the line the D- whatever and Aero still exist
William morris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote William morris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 16 at 2:48pm
Brading haven yacht club
Van Mentz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Van Mentz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 16 at 6:43pm
Ah! the other end of the Island therefore I'm not familiar with what goes on there.

My instinct would be to try both boats, ie Laser and Aero and see which you like best. However I would tend to push you towards the Aero as there is a decent fleet at Gurnard where you can join in if you wish. Joe Richards sails there and he is the bloke who designed it.

The Laser is over 40 years old now and it shows. Whereas the Aero is new, uses knowledge gained over that period and importantly is a good deal lighter and nippier. Being young I think this will be important for you.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>