FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wife experience helm & Husband 95kg crew

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Jonoandnic View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jonoandnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wife experience helm & Husband 95kg crew
    Posted: 15 Mar 16 at 1:28pm
We are in Kent at the Moment, have been sailing at Bewl last year and BB though Aut/Winter but my wife has a new job so we are now moving to Ipswich, her new school is next to Harwich SC and 10 mins from Alton water 
Jonoandnic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jonoandnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 16 at 1:29pm
Sounds loss weight to sail the 200 or eat more the sail the 400 
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 16 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Jonoandnic

Sounds loss weight to sail the 200 or eat more the sail the 400 

I suspect you'll find the 200 is more space than weight. There really isn't that much room up the sharp end for a reasonable sized bloke. The 400 on the other hand should be fine with that weight.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 16 at 1:37pm
And there's an Alto or two up at Alton if I'm not mistaken so you could at least get a look at one, the designer comes from round that way, there and on the River Deben.
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 16 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by iGRF

... but luckily you've now got me to set your minds free, take the red pill, get down the rabbit hole, see how far it goes..

yep, a small hole in the ground, suitable to piss in and sail whatever wunderboot 3000 you're recommending all by your lonesome.

Back to the OP- Alton Water, nice stretch of inland water and reasonably benign.  I'd be very tempted to get a 400 on there in your situation and use it to also explore the Orwell and Stour rivers for long fun cruises in the summer.  

A little under the optimum weight won't be an issue in those parts, East Anglia is typically less windy than other areas of the country unless you go for the more exposed areas- even then, you'd be fine.  I've know several husband and wife combos make 400s work there.

Edited by turnturtle - 15 Mar 16 at 1:49pm
Pierre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 16 at 3:56pm
So an Osprey would be fine then........  
vscott View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote vscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 16 at 9:50pm
As a wife sailing with her  84ish kg husband we have a lot of fun in the Osprey, although a few extra kg could be very useful at times.  Several wife and husband teams in the Osprey fleet these days!

It is a big, but forgiving boat, that you can de-power for the bigger winds, and challenge the crew with trapeze and spinnaker.  (I think Michael enjoys the challenges of symmetrical, it does take skill to fly well, but so satisfying when you get it right.)

I imagine the Alto is great for getting going quickly, but is it enough of an ongoing challenge for a crew with self tacking jib and asymmetric kite? Depends on what really attracts you.

The best idea is to see if you can have a go in whatever you decide is your short list, preferably in a well set up boat.  Don't get something just because it is a bargain.

And enjoy!
Mk IV Osprey 1314 Think Again

Kielder Water Sailing Club
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 16 at 6:05pm
W?
Mick Greenland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mick Greenland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 16 at 8:05am
Hi J&N,

Looking at peoples suggestions I think they are missing the main point 'Your an Ideal weight for an Osprey'
I've sailed Rs's and smaller boats but find the Osprey the most forgiving in up to Force 6 compared with my 505; I own both! I'm 65kg and my crews weigh in at 14 and 19 stone, always manageable and don't remember the last time 'we' fell in!
With the new Mk V out there many Mk4's up for sale including mine. plus a few woodys. So, as you are in Kent and I'm on Sheppey maybe have a test sail or just see what the Osprey is all about. Smile

Cheers Mick G

01795 870505

Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 16 at 8:53am
Originally posted by vscott

I imagine the Alto is great for getting going quickly, but is it enough of an ongoing challenge for a crew with self tacking jib and asymmetric kite? Depends on what really attracts you.

I suspect teams sailing in a 49er think something similar, if only there was more of a challenge because of asymmetric and self tacking jib!
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>