FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medway Clubs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
upyourcreek View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote upyourcreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medway Clubs
    Posted: 24 Feb 16 at 4:04pm
Hello everyone,

A returning sailor here, hoping to get back into things after a few years off. You know what it's like - other things (mostly family!) always seem to get in the way!  Tongue

Anyway, we're down in Kent now and I'm hoping to find a sailing club with plenty of sailing and social activities. I found Upnor Sailing Club and like the look of them as they do have moorings on the Medway river.

Does anyone know what the club's like? Friendly? Just doing a bit of looking around at the moment before dipping my toe in a bit deeper!

Many thanks
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 16 at 4:10pm
Hmm you should be warned you're in the North Kent Hill Billy territory up there, with all that involves, six fingers, two heads, banjo playing et al, but there is one club I've visited where they speak a passable dialect and don't appear to have married their sisters that often, it's called Wilsonian, and some of them actually speak to you if you show up, can't say I've ever heard of Upnor, is there electricity on site?
NickM View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 16 at 5:30pm
Depends on what you are sailing, and if you want to race. Wilsonian definitely for dinghies.

Medway YC have lots of keel boats (and moorings) and possibly have more options for keelboat racing than Upnor. There is a good fleet of racing Sonatas there who are always looking for crew. But it definitely feels like a "Yacht Club."

Nothing against Upnor: it is smaller than MYC which some might see as an advantage.

I should go round them all and see what you like the feel of best.
upyourcreek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote upyourcreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 16 at 7:22pm
Ha, yes this part of Kent is a bit like that but I believe electricity arrived in the last few years    Tongue

I like the idea of a smaller club to be honest but I will keep hunting before making an approach but if anyone has any other recommendations, I'd be pleased to hear from them.

Thank you for your replies so far.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 16 at 11:12pm
Wilsonian is the one to go to.  Easily one of my favourite clubs I've spent time at.  
 Post Reply Post Reply