FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RYA Suzuki Dinghy Show 20qy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Spitfire089 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Spitfire089 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RYA Suzuki Dinghy Show 20qy
    Posted: 19 Jan 16 at 10:25pm
Any news on the Dinghy Show this year?
jeffers View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 16 at 9:10am
There is a thread in Dinghy Development on this already. Seems the rumour mill are not saying much new aside from a number of classes deciding to give it a miss on cost grounds.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 16 at 5:33pm
Well other than a few errands I had to run picking up bits for the Alto, I have to say this year is the worse I've ever attended for lack of 'vibe' and generally a rfwot. The whole thing is beginning to border on being a rip off, at 16 quid I have to say, not exactly money well spent.

As you walked in, there was none of the usual pazazz, just a lonely 49er chucked out with the pillar you can sign to wish them luck, I think it had a couple of signatures and one of them read 'your mum and dad'.

Nothing much new, of particular interest to me, I had a look at the Hadron, asked a couple of dumb questions of the designer wondering why he'd perched the mast up on top of the deck then had to put a bit more mast between the deck and the bottom, why not just punch a hole through, would make rigging easier single handed if nothing else, i always think they look more vulnerable up there and merlins do pop the odd mast I've noticed, other than that, lots going on for those concerned about their knees and who don't mind self balers, which totally turned me of an otherwise cool boat.

I had my cake and ate it on the Solution stand has it been ten years already, that flew by, hell it'll be ten years next year since i bought my Alto. He of the brandy and baby sham was totally bottle free, no fizz, no fizzle it was all eyes down sell boats on the Devoti stand, as much as I tried to divert Russco with a hand drinking pint gesture, he wasn't moving, he even ignored the tongue hard in cheek suggesting a carrot or similar long object in ones mouth, even Brianne of Tarre had left the armour behind grown her hair and curled it for the occasion and other than suggesting she was ahem 'gagging for it' when i suggested envy of my yuogslavian freedom fighter sheepskin gilet, it was all business.

So I left for once actually content with what I'm already sailing and with no desire to change, I did have a little twinge looking at the blue sail on the blu D-Zero, but it'll wait another year, got lots to do this season and seeing the minisail listed as 1248 on the RYA list made up for the irritation of hearing the Laser is another 4 points slower, hell how much of a bandit has that boat got to end up, all those improvements over the years and now its slower still, you couldn't make it up never mind write it.

So if you're ambivalent about going tomorrow, i wouldn't bother, it's not worth a tenner never mind sixteen quid.

Edited by iGRF - 05 Mar 16 at 5:36pm
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 16 at 9:11pm
I had a lovely day, chatting to people on the Lightning stand, wandering round and chatting to more people the rest of the time. Will do similar again tomorrow. Did seem quite quiet, though, and while I enjoy it I do wonder slightly what the reason actually is for it existing.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 16 at 10:54pm
It's grossly expensive now, for the actual classes and only those that get some support from builders can warrant it, and the more I think about it, i want to actually sit in them you know, try them on for size, touchy feely, lift them up, stuff like that, try hauling some around on actual trailers, we do need an on the water dinghy class show that doesn't cost the earth, either to show, or attend and personally if the RYA were not there it wouldn't worry me one iota.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 16 at 11:13pm
I really enjoyed. For classes which don't realistically expect to sell any boats there, it must be getting difficult to justify.
I'm not sure about an on the water show, it would be logistically very difficult.
I would quite like a nostalgia show though, where classes which still exist but no longer attend the show, or those that have died off, can get to exhibit in an affordable manner. A sort of museum for a weekend.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 16 at 7:15am
Originally posted by Peaky

I really enjoyed. For classes which don't realistically expect to sell any boats there, it must be getting difficult to justify.
I'm not sure about an on the water show, it would be logistically very difficult.
I would quite like a nostalgia show though, where classes which still exist but no longer attend the show, or those that have died off, can get to exhibit in an affordable manner. A sort of museum for a weekend.

Drop into a cvrda event some time!

Could Y&Y support an event for a few keen classes in the same way that Classic boat supported (supports?) Beale Park? I can see something where classes and builders without the clout of the big boys could get together, swallow egos and have a lovely weekend showing off their wares.
tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 16 at 10:42am
This has been the best show for years, there were loads of people here yesterday, it was buzzing! I think people just don't like you Graeme and were keeping clear...
Needs to sail more...
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 16 at 10:45pm
It was pretty quiet today, though. Mother's day, daft idea to run it then.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 16 at 11:15pm
To be fair, the show is always the first weekend in March, and Mothers Day is always 3 weeks before Easter. The two don't often coincide...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>