FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RYA Suzuki Dinghy Show 20qy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
getafix View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RYA Suzuki Dinghy Show 20qy
    Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 6:20am
I doubt something as grand or large as the NEC is needed.  By exhib hall standards Alli Palli is tiny anyway.  I would guess a college sports hall or a county show ground would have capacity enough, the main issue might be parking.
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 7:29am
Excellent point, County Show grounds can have excellent facilities. Mind you I guess the RYA thinks that Northamptonshire is actually in the north.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 8:08am
Show grounds tend to have minimal facilities, be unheated and parking on grass. Mix that with a March show and it doesn't work.

Sports centres... Some of us remember those days. Happy amateur days if you like. Demands a bit more from C As to get a stand together, and used to end up with the show fragmented round different halls, it was pretty rubbish if you got pushed off to the outer darkness.
I fear that the extra work might be a struggle for some classes these days in which money seems easier to find than volunteer effort.

On the other hand there was much to like about those days but whether they'd match with today's spectator mentality. Not sure.
gordon1277 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 8:57am
Its interesting how we view the show but when you listen to Frank Brethwaite he thinks its one of the best two shows in the world Mets being the other.
Isnt there some venue near Warwick which holds big equestrian/ farming events we could use?
With the Phantom not going this year to have money for a new promo video it sounds like it was the right choice especially on Sunday.
Doesnt taking your Mum and her wallet to the dinghy show count as a treat for her day?
Gordon
Lossc
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 9:53am
Originally posted by getafix

I doubt something as grand or large as the NEC is needed.  By exhib hall standards Alli Palli is tiny anyway.  I would guess a college sports hall or a county show ground would have capacity enough, the main issue might be parking.

That is the beauty of the NEC there are so many halls of varying sizes that one could be found that is the right size.

I suspect it just has not been examined properly.....
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Time Lord View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Time Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 9:58am
There is a 'little' showground at Stoneleigh just south of Coventry which would be ideal. Plenty of car parking and exhibition halls all on the flat and with even some of the car parking undercover in the old Royal Show cattle sheds.

Trade shows are regularly held there and it is all on the flat - no thigh crippling climb up and down to Ally Pally. Excellent motorway access (M40, M6) within minutes; good train connections from Coventry.

As RYA would view this as the north, why not a northern dinghy show and allow the London one to whither away. Would get to an entirely different audience.
Merlin Rocket 3609
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 11:18am
The reason believe it or not the dinghy show is at the current venue is probably down to me, it's a long story but if we're ever in a bar together I'd happily recount it, but at the time Ally Pally was far cheaper than the NEC and London and SE centric attracts more folk than the NEC unless it's to do with cars and or beer.

Most 'active lifestyle' shows do better in and around London, take the Ski show as another example, the London Show rocks the midlands shows suck, from an exhibitor viewpoint and Northern editions of southern shows are normally loss making for the bigger exhibitors, although at retail level they get use to dump stock and turn some money over off season.

As to other venues we used to go to a trade event at Telford where there were just about enough hotel beds to cope, and it wasn't too pricey and you had Iron bridge nearby in which you could stay, that might work. Then there was another surf show held down in Exeter that wasn't too expensive to run could also work and there was a place just outside Bath that we used to exhibit at, also not to pricey, but and here's the rub, none of these were public shows, most were trade events where folk had to go for commercial gain, I doubt you'd get classes trucking all over the UK.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 11:26am
Getting back to the Dinghy Show and what's wrong, it lacks Jenny Curry, she was always there to sort things, I don't even know who is in charge of the show these days, I suggested to kevin he get an announcement made that he was about to cut the birthday cake, not a big deal to bung a twenty second thing over the tannoy. Do you think he could get it done, he was shuffled from pillar to post, not one bit knew what the other was doing, it's a farce, no key organiser to make things happen.
In Years past as you arrived there would be stuff gong on outside, Volvo's etc then in the palm court there would be a big display the vibe would be palpable before you even got in the door. Now? Flat as leaven bread only the price has any self raising element.

Edited by iGRF - 10 Mar 16 at 11:27am
Roger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 11:31am
Originally posted by iGRF

The reason believe it or not the dinghy show is at the current venue is probably down to me, it's a long story but if we're ever in a bar together I'd happily recount it, but at the time Ally Pally was far cheaper than the NEC and London and SE centric attracts more folk than the NEC unless it's to do with cars and or beer.

Most 'active lifestyle' shows do better in and around London, take the Ski show as another example, the London Show rocks the midlands shows suck, from an exhibitor viewpoint and Northern editions of southern shows are normally loss making for the bigger exhibitors, although at retail level they get use to dump stock and turn some money over off season.

As to other venues we used to go to a trade event at Telford where there were just about enough hotel beds to cope, and it wasn't too pricey and you had Iron bridge nearby in which you could stay, that might work. Then there was another surf show held down in Exeter that wasn't too expensive to run could also work and there was a place just outside Bath that we used to exhibit at, also not to pricey, but and here's the rub, none of these were public shows, most were trade events where folk had to go for commercial gain, I doubt you'd get classes trucking all over the UK.

http://westpointexeter.co.uk/
Westpoint Exeter - Very doable, plenty of room and just off M5, rail only to center of Exeter so would have to run buses (not ideal), loads of car parking though.

http://www.bathandwest.com/
Bath and West Showground - Non starter, difficult access, not enough covered room and parking on the grass in March is bad news.

iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 11:45am
What we need is an exhibition facility with water access. We've done small shows on Willen Lake in Milton keynes for example, or the original snowdome had a lake opposite it but doubt either have the space inside.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>