FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Radial rake measurement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
jeffers View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radial rake measurement
    Posted: 18 Jan 16 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Roger

I of course just took the hull they gave me....

As did I when I bought a  new Laser (180,000 vintage). A friend of mine however didn't as the hull had visible stress cracks all over it so he refused it. After several hours or discussion and him demanding a refund they eventually replaced the hull with a new one (and had to change the numbers etc.. that they had packed for him).
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
laser47 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 16 at 11:18am
All the rake guidelines I know of are based on the standard mast, you'd be better borrowing a full rig and measuring top to transom on that.

For the standard rig I've always been told they're *supposed* to be about 382.27/383.54cm or 150.5/151in from the top of the mast. A bit of forward rake (Up to 386cm/152in) is better because it's quick off the wind and gives you better leech tension upwind. If the measurement is less than 376 cm/148in you've got an issue with the bottom of your mast step and the boat's a dud.
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 16 at 1:35pm
Thanks 47.
148"-152" is a substantial variation, as you said I'll have to borrow a std section.
Exactly where on the transom?
Thanks again.
laser47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 16 at 2:03pm
From the top/back of the mast to the middle of the round of the transom (just above the rudder fittings).

There's pictures and instructions to measure everything in the older versions of the Laser Campaign Manual, I'm not sure about the newer version because no-one really measures anymore: the XD makes it less of an issue and they seem to have clamped down on the tolerances since the early 2000s.
bustinben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bustinben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 16 at 12:36pm
Take it from someone who is currently active in the class and has had 3 brand new ones - there are still big variations.

For most sailors, it's not going to matter what the measurement is, you just want to make sure you don't have an outlier.  If you're not as quick as other people it's much more likely to be your technique than anything else!

Edited by bustinben - 20 Jan 16 at 12:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12