FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Combi Trailer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Megaricht View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Megaricht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Combi Trailer
    Posted: 10 Jan 16 at 10:46pm
I am thinking of getting a dinghy with a combi trailer; specificly along the lines of a Wanderer.

I know I can handle the trailer except for the business of getting the launch trailer back onto the road trailer.

I know there are people out there who can help. Acting on my own is there a secret in lifting the launch trailer off and on?

Thank you. Richard
Cheers Rich
gordon1277 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 16 at 8:27am
Hi
If the combi is set up correctly you should be able to manage on your own.
Make sure the road base has a full width roller at the back, and that the boat on the trolley is well balanced.
I know having 10inch wheels is better for towing but this can make it more difficult to combine the two.
Without seeing the combi in action its difficult to come up with tips.
Regards
Gordon
Gordon
Lossc
Megaricht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Megaricht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 16 at 11:10am
Thank you. My problem will be getting the wheels of the launch trailer back on. Do people normally use a ramp. Can't see how it's possible otherwise
Cheers Rich
Megaricht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Megaricht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 16 at 11:11am
I mean getting the launch trailer wheels up and onto the road trailer
Cheers Rich
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 16 at 11:12am
If you can pull a dinghy up a slipway then I think you could manage to work a combi trailer OK.

But do spend time/money on getting it to work flawlessly. I have an ancient one that definitely makes it a lot harder work.
Megaricht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Megaricht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 16 at 11:22am
Maybe I'm not being clear. Dinghy and trolley are about 150 kilos. I have to pull it up a step of about 9 inches. Surely this needs a ramp... it won't just easily roll up a step that high will it?
Cheers Rich
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 16 at 11:35am
Typically there are rollers on the road base, and the frame of the launching trolley rolls up these rollers to lift the trolley: its not a case of having it bodily up a step. Built in ramp in reverse really!

However if you find you really struggle then two or three old blocks and a bit of rope in the back of the car would give you a purchase that would let you heave it the last bit. Never seen anyone needing it though.

Edited by JimC - 11 Jan 16 at 11:36am
Megaricht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Megaricht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 16 at 11:44am
Ah I think I'm seeing it. So lift front of boat and trolley. Pull and restitution on road trailer.and keep pulling till centre of balance tilts back of trolley up off floor. Then pull last little bit.
Cheers Rich
gordon1277 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 16 at 12:06pm
Hi Mega
Starting straight so you dont bind on the sides helps a lot although a good wiggle of the boat and trolley can sort things if you get stuck.
Gordon
Gordon
Lossc
rogerd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 16 at 1:50pm
On the wayfarer combi`s I have used, get the front of the trolly as far forward as possible and then lift the front of the road base and trolly together you can hook up the front of the trolly and the by pushing the two down together you lift the rear end off the ground.
Some of these combi`s have a system where the mast suppot slides down vertically to hold the road base front up higher.
Im not sure I have described it very well.

Edited by rogerd - 11 Jan 16 at 1:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>