FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Standing up in a hiking class

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 15 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by laser193713

They may well do, but having raced against all of the above I am probably better placed to make the judgement than most. I agree that our Ben may be the greatest olympic sailor of all time, but boat on boat in a laser in their prime, Slingsby would be quicker. 

Interesting.... When did you race against them?  Not doubting you, just genuine curiosity. 

Edited by Doug.H - 14 Oct 15 at 8:25pm
Chris 249 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 15 at 12:12pm
I can't see why standing up would be very effective upwind - surely you have less leverage and a lot more windage?  It feels quite good downwind in a breeze but (speaking as a windsurfer) the problems involved in locking yourself in position would be too significant to make it worthwhile IMHO.

Originally posted by Peaky

Best ever?

Yes, best sailor of a Laser.... The revolution in boat speed that came about, especially in a breeze, through his time in the class was phenomenal. Having raced against him, as well as various other olympians, he is the one I would say was most untouchable in a Laser. 

Where was the big difference? I haven't raced Lasers much since Tom was so young that I used to beat him, and that was a looooooooooooooooooooooong time ago......so long ago he literally had Nappy Rash.

Yes, I do mean he literally had Nappy Rash - it was the name of his boat.

Edited by Chris 249 - 18 Oct 15 at 12:13pm
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 15 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by iiiiitick

Originally posted by kneewrecker

They may well do, but having raced against all of the above I am probably better placed to make the judgement than most. I agree that our Ben may be the greatest olympic sailor of all time, but boat on boat in a laser in their prime, Slingsby would be quicker. 

p'ah... not quick as a replica slingsby would be, and they're cheaper.

LOL Clap

Don't like emoticons. They are for feckless youth.

What about witless old farts like me? Wink
Jon Meadowcroft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Meadowcroft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 15 at 7:32pm
In light winds I would suggest that it is impossible to stand up in a dinghy without a very high risk of illegally propelling your boat. Sailors need to keep seated. Loads of it goes on at UK inland sailing clubs and very little is done about it. Some people do nothing and get very frustrated about it happening. Others just shrug their shoulders and let it happen. Even worse some other people just vote with their feet and don't bother. Clubs don't know what to do about it. After all those doing it are the people who pay their subscriptions and do volunteer duties.

So, in summary if it was an important race to me and you stood up downwind in light breeze I would be watching your boat and if the leech of your sail flicked I would protest.
Rupert View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 15 at 7:37pm
It would have to flick more than once, surely, and you'd need to be able to show it wasn't caused by actual wind. But yes,in principal I agree.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 15 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Jon Meadowcroft

In light winds I would suggest that it is impossible to stand up in a dinghy without a very high risk of illegally propelling your boat. Sailors need to keep seated. Loads of it goes on at UK inland sailing clubs and very little is done about it. Some people do nothing and get very frustrated about it happening. Others just shrug their shoulders and let it happen. Even worse some other people just vote with their feet and don't bother. Clubs don't know what to do about it. After all those doing it are the people who pay their subscriptions and do volunteer duties.

So, in summary if it was an important race to me and you stood up downwind in light breeze I would be watching your boat and if the leech of your sail flicked I would protest.

A good friend of mine stands up in his 300 most of the time on the run.  And it is never about illegal propulsion just his technique.  I wish I had the balance to do it, but I don't and my knees get sore.

My point is, as Rupert points out, look for the offence, not for the indicators of a potential offence.

But I do agree that there is insufficient self-policing across all the rules, not just 42.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 15 at 3:48am
There are boats where it's easier and more comfortable to get good trim standing up in the light stuff. I always worry about aerody drag though.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 15 at 9:23am
Going DDW the person standing up would be adding to sail area, but at what point would they become drag? Even on a broad reach?
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 15 at 3:34pm
Can't say I ever stand up off wind when it's light, I tend to be sat way forward and off centre trying to keep the rig forward and the arse and all the water grabbing flat v out of as much of it as possible and I tend also to be facing backwards watching the stern for noise and upwind for puffs.

The reason I naturally stood upwind in light weather,was a)It returns my windsurfing sense of feel, b) gives me the ability to heel the boat, and c)by holding the boom windsurf style you get a better feel for pressure in the sail, but as soon as there is pressure support enough to keep the rig vertical then I'm back on or over the side.

We had a big debate the other day about the effectiveness of my heeling technique which emulates div2 and letting the foil generate lift under you by canting it, ok we could do that and keep the rig vert which you can't do in a dinghy, but a dinghy like the EPS is over canvassed so heeling it isn't an issue and of course gravity assist the sail camber when it's light. Our hotshot Contender guy asserts that it's wrong and you make leeway even though you appear to be pointing higher, however that was the first time I did actually do well, returned from an OCS and still went through the entire fleet to the point of being in the lead over the water until the course tightened up and two kite boats got through, so for me it works and I won't be stopping any time soon.

Edited by iGRF - 19 Oct 15 at 3:36pm
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 15 at 3:41pm
I have no doubt at all that in light winds heeling the boat is quicker.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>