FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Standing up in a hiking class

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 15 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Originally posted by iGRF

Standing up is the only way to sail, all this sitting down nonesense should be illegal as should hanging your arse over that side, that induces quantitive kinetic easing I've noticed. So much bullsh*t in dinghies, so little time to point it all out.

Should the masts be made to fall over too?

Well if you're stood up, hold onto them, they don't fall over and you don't have to have that silly rudder thing at the back, all that knotty rope and you don't end up with permanent back ache from all that hiking.
Riv View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 15 at 8:42pm
Frankly,  after learning to use a sailboard I find sitting down a pain in the bum and I'm wondering if it would be faster to sail a Laser to windward standing on the gunwale with the tiller tied to the centre line. At least in flat water
tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 15 at 1:53pm
I stand up in light winds quite often because it's more comfortable and because it's easier to get a rock/pump in too (especially downwind). All perfectly legal on every wave and gust isn't it?
Needs to sail more...
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 15 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Riv

Frankly,  after learning to use a sailboard I find sitting down a pain in the bum and I'm wondering if it would be faster to sail a Laser to windward standing on the gunwale with the tiller tied to the centre line. At least in flat water

oddly enough, I got a D-Zero planing to windward standing on the side of the damn thing on a reasonably breezy outing once.  

I'm  sure a laser could equally be sailed in that fashion.
laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 15 at 2:18pm
I'm not sure it would be very efficient... especially in waves with all that weight high up. Not to mention the risk of falling off!

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 15 at 2:28pm
true - this was flat water, and sketchy balance... I wouldn't want to be up there off a crowded start line that's for sure!
laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 15 at 2:37pm

See above for some serious freestyle laser sailing including some standing up... which doesn't end too well

https://youtu.be/6p0ILgwKD8o

Edited by MerlinMags - 14 Oct 15 at 4:08pm
Jamesd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamesd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 15 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by tgruitt

I stand up in light winds quite often because it's more comfortable and because it's easier to get a rock/pump in too (especially downwind). All perfectly legal on every wave and gust isn't it?

I think you'd have a hard time explaining how you thought that your boat was going to plane or even surf in light conditions. Probably get away with it a couple of times (as an attempt to initiate planning or surfing) but i'd go as far as saying that even the dumbest of sailors know when the boat is not gonna go and therefore you would more than likely get pinged.

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 15 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by laser193713

https://youtu.be/6p0ILgwKD8o
See above for some serious freestyle laser sailing including some standing up... which doesn't end too well!

great little video - I enjoyed that, thanks  Clap

Edited by MerlinMags - 14 Oct 15 at 4:10pm
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 15 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by kneewrecker

oddly enough, I got a D-Zero planing to windward standing on the side of the damn thing on a reasonably breezy outing once.  

I'm  sure a laser could equally be sailed in that fashion.

I'm not convinced you have more righting moment doing that - i'd also question if you were genuinely planing to windward or if you just had a pretty bow wave.

I've sailed Musto and 600 recently and both boat truck upwind but that is some serious leverage and you really need to find a groove to genuinely plane upwind - too much other stuff happening like waves and wind strength to say its easy
RS300 and RS200, ex Musto Skiff
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>