FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Standing up in a hiking class

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Standing up in a hiking class
    Posted: 12 Oct 15 at 6:08pm
Standing up is the only way to sail, all this sitting down nonesense should be illegal as should hanging your arse over that side, that induces quantitive kinetic easing I've noticed. So much bullsh*t in dinghies, so little time to point it all out.
Steve411 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 15 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Null

I stand up in the D-zero and get accused of pumping.  I struggle with hip discomfort when crouched by the mast.  I also find its easier to steer the bot with body weight, which often gets misread as pumping.  I am not aware of it being illegal, why would it be?  

Is that your excuse? Nice one, ha, ha, ha...
Steve B
RS300 411

RS300 page
chrisarnell1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote chrisarnell1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 15 at 3:19pm
Just to be specific, I imagine the Rule 42 issue would be rocking rather than pumping. Nothing illegal in standing up but as others have pointed out, it attracts attention especially in light winds. Observing the top of the mast for repeated movements is usually an indicator that the crew is being naughty. I see it a lot upwind as well where the helm will occasionally use rocking as a means to open the leech of the mainsail and induce a bit of speed. 
Null View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Null Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 15 at 2:54pm
I stand up in the D-zero and get accused of pumping.  I struggle with hip discomfort when crouched by the mast.  I also find its easier to steer the bot with body weight, which often gets misread as pumping.  I am not aware of it being illegal, why would it be?  
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 15 at 2:42pm
It can be quite hard to stop the boat rocking when you are stood up, so even if you are stood because your knees hurt, others will assume you are doing it to cheat.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
ifoxwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ifoxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 15 at 12:48pm
were arnt at that level at this stage, just club racing and no one really has an issue with it but it would be a shame for people to develop techniques like this only to find out at a bigger meeting that its illegal.
RS300
GybeFunny View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 15 at 12:46pm
I dont think it is illegal but I do know umpires watch people standing up closer due to the increased ease of cheating when standing up.
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 15 at 12:06pm
Nothing that I am aware of. When it is really light I stand up in the D-Zero as do a few others.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
ifoxwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ifoxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 15 at 12:00pm
Are there any rules about people sailing standing up for prolonged periods in a hiking boat?

In this instance I'm talking about down wind were the ability to move around can make the sailing more efficient, but could be argued to make pumping easier as well?
RS300
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345