FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boats for Young Sailors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
about a boat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote about  a boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boats for Young Sailors
    Posted: 04 Aug 15 at 9:23am
Cadets and Mirrors are great for kids. I would go for a Mirror. Get a cheap one because they might try it and hate it. Upgrade a couple of years later if they still like it. You seem to get more boat for your money with a Cadet but a Mirror will give more room if going out with the both of them. Also you need to think about what your kids might like to do themselves. My seven year old wants to sail solo - an oppie. My ten year old wants to crew and does not want to sail solo. Think about sheet loads. Boats a bit bigger might be too much for them at this stage.

Also I have found that sailing with a couple of water pistols can make the sail more fun too. Especially if there friends around who will reciprocate.

Where on the North Kent coast are you?
Starsailor12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Starsailor12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 15 at 9:33am
In Thanet - lots of good clubs around, although all sea based. I'm not sure if there are any clubs based on lakes, which may be better for the children
NickM View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 15 at 4:57pm
Redoubt Sailing Club on a small lake near Hythe is probably your only inland option.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12