FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gust or Brezze

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
giwy1 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote giwy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gust or Brezze
    Posted: 30 Jul 15 at 9:06pm
Hi All,

Just got my first ever boat. I am 44yo and a heavy sailor so after lots of research and asking questions on here I got a phantom. So I want to start of by going in a F3 or preferably lower, so do I work on the breeze or the gusts for working out the force? Any debates or factual answers would be much appreciated.

Grant
AlexM View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 15 at 9:17pm
Google beaufort scale
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 15 at 11:05pm
Yes, very good googling mate, but that's not the question he asked...

I think when deciding whether to stay on the beach or not you have to consider both the regular breeze and the gusts (and, if at sea, also the sea state).

Typically yes, if people say F3 they mean average F3, not gust strength, but actually how hard and fast the gusts are coming on is a bigger issue than the base wind strength. Its easier to sail in a steady F5 then in F1 gusting 4. And I also reckon that you can handle an extra wind force (at least) on flat water as opposed to serious waves.

So if you're not sure about the conditions, try and get high enough where you can get a decent look at the water and see the dark patterns from gust fronts. If they look big and dark and evil, and especially if they seem to be coming from varying directions then use a lot more discretion than if the wind is reasonably steady.

A F3 in a Phantom is still a pretty powerful breeze

Edited by JimC - 30 Jul 15 at 11:05pm
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 15 at 11:41am
my simple rule of thumb- look for white caps.  

If there's white caps breaking across the wave top (sea) or in the gust pattern inland (look for darker water), then it's breezier than you think.  Give it a season or two and you'll not find their presence disturbing Thumbs Up 
bferry View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote bferry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 15 at 12:34pm
Wind finder is quite a good tool since it gives wind speed and gusts forecasts.  This gives you an idea as to how stable the wind forecast is.
Bernard
Vareo 249
Miracle 2818
Malta
Woodburner View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Woodburner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 15 at 2:31pm
The clue to what to really avoid is when you can see the white caps going down wind away from you, but then chances are there will be nobody else out. So rule of thumb let someone else go out first watch how they get on then make the decision, don't be too nervous you've chosen a great boat, get out there in it and practise, where are you sailing it Grant?
NickM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 15 at 7:31pm
If you are sailing from a sailing club, check to see if it has an anemometer that should give you a rough idea of the wind strength. A good one will record gust strength too. You can also buy a hand-held one for around £15 (Google it) but again probably not v accurate.
giwy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote giwy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 15 at 8:48pm
Hi woodburner, I picked it up today and is with me ready to be dropped off at covenham sailing club which is between Louth and Grimsby, do you know it? The wind over the weekend here is around 9 to 12 with gusts up to 20!!!! I might just go down tomorrow and Sunday and see how many go out, watch for a bit and go from there.... I'll keep you all updated

Thanks for all your help.
patj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 15 at 7:11am
Windguru is another good website www.windguru.cz - you can choose between miles per hour and knots in the options.
Being heavy like us you'll find light wind (below about 7 mph) an absolute pain so try to pick days with about 8-15 mph windspeed and gusts of very little more - it's the difference between wind speed and gust speed that causes problems - more difference, more problems.
On flat water you can watch gusts coming across - try standing on shore on a windy day and watching the water surface for practice and see just where those gusts are going and how they bend with the shape of the lake.
Also for starters go out when there is a safety boat on duty and others to help you. Once you get going a bit, join the racing as having to sail a specific course is much better training than just going where you fancy and also everyone knows where you are headed so you aren't just a randomly moving obstruction to racing.

Edited by patj - 01 Aug 15 at 7:15am
giwy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote giwy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 15 at 8:28am
Thanks pat, seems so logical really but not when you're a newbie. Really helpful advice so thanks for that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>