FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Penalties

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
jeffers View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Penalties
    Posted: 05 Jun 17 at 9:22am
Using the rules to your advantage. Has always been part of the game.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 17 at 11:36am
When watching this, one has to consider that the America's Cup has always been rigged to the Defender's advantage, so that is part of the deal; however IMO it would be a better event if ...

The Defender was not in the LV series, that is just daft, as is the point carried over into the final;
That the winner of the LV raced 4th place, and 2nd raced 3rd; this would have added more edge to the 1st round;
Penalties were a bit more severe, in some conditions the two boat slow down penalty has very little impact;

My guess is that next time around teams will have worked out less power hungry systems, but I would prefer to see a contest based on pure sailing rather than how much hydraulic pressure is left in the tank.
Happily living in the past
Sam S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 17 at 5:01pm
I agree. USA changed the rules to put themselves in the LV Series so that they would have an even greater advantage over the challengers.
As for the 'pure' sailing, I couldn't agree more. A race of yacht and team abilities is what it should be about.

Sam
Sam S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 17 at 5:05pm
Using the rules to your advantage is IMHO 'bad sportsmanship'. 
Just because you can 'trip up' the other team to 'win' your race, does not mean that you won on an even footing. And that is my point.
If the race is about the skill of the team at sailing their boat the fastest, then we have a true representation of a team and boat.
Sam
ClubRacer View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ClubRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 17 at 5:37pm
both boats want to be in the same place at the same time the only way to be in that place is to prevent the other boat from being there

Sailing has always been about who can use the rules to their advantage, no sailor in the world has ever won a championship event without having to out smart the other boats on the course and this is exactly the same. Keep the others boats behind you and you'l always win 

to come out with comments about it being un-sportsman like and not pure sailing is completely ignorant 

Sam S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 17 at 5:59pm
The 'Port-Starboard' rule was implimented for give-way purposes, not to screw up the other boats chances of winning. That is like allowing tripping in a soccer game. 
I agree with the rule, but not when used to stiffle your competitor. This aught to be a gentleman's sport.
Sam
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 17 at 6:20pm
Gently now, my namesake is a newb here and may not have any racing experience. Sam S, I'm not a fan of the 'win at all costs' attitude we see in so much sport these days, and am a huge believer in sportsmen 'doing the right thing' (I was the guy who re-rounded a touched mark even if nobody saw me touch it.....). But, the rules are the same for everybody and at that level they all have an intimate knowledge of them. Would you describe it as 'bad sportsmanship' in a football game for a defender to step up field causing the opposing forward to be offside as he receives a pass? Much the same thing IMHO. And, while I didn't see the incident in question, the ROW rules are even more important (if that's possible) in these big fast AC boats due to their lack of manoeuvrability.

It's well worth reading Eric Twiname's brilliant book "Start To Win" or at least the chapter/s relating to rules and protests. He wrote much sense.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Sam S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 17 at 6:34pm
I totally agree. I am not against the rule, only the abuse of it in what I call dirty-tactics.
Sam
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 17 at 6:54pm
But the point is that they are simply 'tactics', nothing dirty about them, all the teams have the same opportunities to use the rules to their advantage as Ainsley did to beat Robert Scheidt and secure an Olympic gold in the final race at Sydney 2000.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 17 at 7:07pm
I'll use rules to my advantage every time I race, as will those I'm racing against. That is the game. Otherwise, it is simply either sailing in company or a drag race.
Match racing will take that to the next level, as they don't have to worry about their position in a fleet. 2nd is last. Using the rules to win is sportsmanship. Abusing them is unsporting.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>