FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Youth classes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Bumble View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Youth classes
    Posted: 26 Nov 05 at 5:01am

Is that supposed to be heavy? I thought 75kg was the ideal weight for radial.

Besides, I think your wrong...... once the wind gets up, being over weight is just as big a disadvantage as being under weight. The boat doesn't accelerate through the gusts and the chop stops it every time. I think Ben would be the first to remind you how hard he needed to work at keeping the weight down to stay competitive in the Lasers.

Jon Emmett View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 05 at 2:00pm

When you are heavy you can take more power or foot more easily upwind, especially useful in short chop. The Laser is relatively heavy so a few KGs will not make much difference to the overall weight and hence acceleration but will be a big difference to overall leverage. In the UK the Radial Nationals has nearly always been won by someone on the heavy side and NEVER won by someone on the light side! Hence the basis for my comment.

Edited by Jon Emmett
Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 05 at 3:10pm

True enough...... I know its nothing to do with this thread but I think your comment about the radials really highlights how unsuitable a class it is for the womens Olympic class.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 05 at 3:12pm
I do not understand... Why is the Radial unsuitable as a class for Women?
Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 05 at 3:13pm

75kilos isn't a very average weight for the women of the world.

Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 05 at 3:16pm

The reason more weight is needed in the laser is to maintain waterline length and imerse the hull so your moment pivots around the maximum width of the hull - same as the Finn. I feel stupid saying this out to an Olympic coach.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 05 at 3:16pm

Yes but 75 Kilos is not the average weight of the Radial class!

By that agruement the Laser is unsuitable as 80 Kilos is not "a very average weight for men of the world". (Do not even think about the Finn!)

The fact is sports people tend to be fitter, stronger (and therefore heavier) than average...

Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 05 at 3:19pm
True, true true..... but 70kilos even is a big girl.....isn't it.????

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 05 at 3:23pm

All the girls on the Podium were under 70Kgs at the Radial Europeans...

Besides look at any "power" sports and you will find lots of women well over 70Kgs!!!

les5269 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote les5269 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 05 at 3:35pm

just to add my ten pence if all the girls are under 70kgs does it matter,wouldn't they all be that little bit handicapped?(I've never raced a laser so I don't know there charactoristics)

49er 531 & 5000 5025 and a mirror(now gone to mirror heaven)!

Grafham water Sailing Club The greatest inland sailing in the country
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>