FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

400 advice please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
piglet View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 400 advice please
    Posted: 24 Jul 15 at 12:33pm
OK, just bought No.1133 and need some class specific advice please:
The boat hasn't been used a lot from new but has been stood for years.

Kite halyard, fashion seems to be around the back but why?
The current halyard doesn't go round the back and is well manky anyway.
So, how long? and which is the best 4mm Dyneema? Think we've got Marlow on the 200 but someone had a new one the other day that looked a tiny bit thinner and seemed to run really well.
gordon1277 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 15 at 5:30pm
Hi Piglet
I used to run my spinnaker halyard round the back as I sailed with lots of pick up crews and it gave me a chance to help whilst they learnt.
All the boats at our club now run them to a block on top of the centre board case tied under the thwart.
Lovely boats apart from the crew hassle and being to heavy I would still race one.
Gordon
Gordon
Lossc
PaulPoshW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PaulPoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 15 at 5:35pm
The halyard going round the back is usually done so the Helm could help with the hoist. Maybe for a junior crew? Not a normal routing for the 400 from memory. If the crew doesn't need help then keep the rope up front.

Some like Maffioli Evolution Race 78 makes a good kite halyard. Nice and soft, cleats well and runs well. Thinner line would work but tends to be much harder on the hands when the wind gets up. 4mm has always been my choice when at the front of a boat.

How long... Sorry can't help much there. I'd suggest google or someone on here may have a better idea.
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 15 at 7:56pm
Thanks Paul, we've got 5mm Evo for kite sheets on the 200 and it's good, very slightly thinner than the equivalent Marlow.

Gordon, do you mean a turning block at the back of the case opening at the front edge of the thwart?
The boat will be sailed by my strapping son and his 9' tall mate, so I can't see the need for round the back, just more string round the helms ankles.
gordon1277 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 15 at 2:15pm
Hi Piglet
As you discribed for the halyard.
Some people have this on thick bungee.
Good sailing I just hope your water is calmer than the Solent yesterday when all the idiots blasted through our course on the way back from the Americas cup off Southsea. It seemed to be a race to see who could reach Hamble river first and sod anybody else. Some scary moments. Also some courteous people who tacked or bore away etc to avoid causing grief but the wash was incredible at times.
Gordon
Lossc
 Post Reply Post Reply