FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What sit-in no kneeling dinghy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
PATRICKCR View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote PATRICKCR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What sit-in no kneeling dinghy
    Posted: 20 Jul 15 at 1:28pm

Hi All ,

I wondered if I could get some advice please from the good people on here.

I passed my RYA 1 & 2 last year and have spent the year sporadically sailing on hire dinghy’s when work permitted, on inland ex gravel pits / lakes mainly on Topaz’s, which are fun if the wind blows and I can sit out and hike but awful when its marginal weather….because I have to keep my ­15 Stone well inboard and I’m typically having to kneel down quite forward and central in the boat to maintain any stability.

What I have come to realise is that , I like two very different forms of sailing !

o   I like to go fast in strong wind and can see that possible boats like Vareo, Supernova and Solo would fit the bill for that ( Also want a fairly high boom ) and as I’ll be sat out all the time and shouldn’t have to do any kneeling.

o   …but for light wind pottering days …I want a ‘sit in’ boat - not something I have to kneel in at all.

My ideal boat (and probably a lot of other peoples) would have a deep hull so I don’t have to sit with my knees halfway up my chest , high boom,  no kneeling in light winds , easy enough to manhandle on my own on the shore (pretty strong) and being a Billy no mates I have no requirement to carry additional crew J

Is it possible to combine the two types of sailing in one boat or should I resign myself to the fact there is no single boat that will fulfil my requirements and look for two different boats.? (Secondhand)

Either way has anybody got any ideas on boats ? …I have bizarrely been looking at miracles, even Hadrons wondering if that’s an light wind option ..fact is I don’t have enough experience to know. So what say you good people ?

Ps I don’t have any aversion to varnishing and woodworking either!

All suggestions appreciated.

Patrick
sawman View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 15 at 3:29pm
miracle is not a bad option plus gives you the option of taking a pal with you
for single handers,  solo would be a logical choice, or maybe a deep cockpit (JJ boats) phantom? I would avoid the vareo if you are averse to kneeling
Do Different View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 15 at 3:39pm
I guess the older designs have deeper more comfortable cockpits. JJ Phantoms look nice, what is an OK like? 
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 15 at 4:35pm
Its a strange thing, but the boats with deeper cockpits also seem to be the ones with excessively low booms.
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 15 at 5:33pm
Weta

edit: pic added

Edited by Jack Sparrow - 20 Jul 15 at 5:36pm
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 15 at 6:14pm
LOL Very true JimC  LOL good one.

However our OP was talking about sitting vs kneeling. Most dinghies will require a duck to pass the boom, some more duckling than daddy drake tis true. There are two different relative distances involved, floor to boom and floor to bum. A tight floor to boom may require some momentary folding, whereas with a tight floor to bum perch the pain is permanent.

PATRICKCR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PATRICKCR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 15 at 8:53pm
Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

The boom height I can compromise on a bit on , do different is correct I am really looking for a decent bum to floor measurement first followed by a boom to floor that doesn't make me kiss the floor every tack.

The lake is fairly small so as much as the weta does appeal I don't think it's going to fit the bill.:(

Do you think it's viable to sail a miracle singlehanded ? Would it be main only ? I ve googled it but can't find much. could i improve things with self tacking jib maybe? Would launching or recovery be a big issue ? I quite like the look of them :)

Solo ..again from a position of never sailing one .....is the centre casing a big deal ? Is the cockpit a proper sit in ? Can I get three seated sofa either side :)

The phantom cockpit seems quite deep , do JJ phantoms have a deeper cockpit than regular phantoms ? Certainly interesting boat I hadn't even considered.

Patrick
NeilB-Phantom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote NeilB-Phantom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 15 at 2:38am
In a regular Phantom you will definitely end up kneeling downwind in the light stuff, even medium airs on a dead run
Phantom 1384
Dazcat D995
ChrisB14 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ChrisB14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 15 at 10:57am
Never having sailed one (sadly), it does sound like the Hadron is what the OP is looking for. Without a real second hand market it would mean putting down a major sum or building one yourself, though.

http://www.hadrondinghy.com/
B14 GBR 748 Bullet B
In build: Farr 3.7 GBR 410 (both sail number and the current number of loose parts)
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 15 at 12:08pm
Ok's have a very low boom.
You need something with a cross thwart so when you are in the middle you are still sitting.
Not all Phantoms have thwarts, Solo's do and Miracles do. A small pond club near me race Miracles S/Hded which I think is all wrong buy heyho, not my club.
Also if you relatively new to it all a Phantom might be a bit fast reacting if there is any wind swirling round your gravel pit.
I vote Solo (yuk).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>