FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
kneewrecker View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Boat
    Posted: 10 Jul 15 at 1:00pm
it's a valid criticism..... I think any boat that doesn't give a 10 second grace period to run the trolley up needs to have this annoyance highlighted.  It's bad enough capsizing all the time, without starting off from the beach performing a capsize recovery.... in the shallows.
ventus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ventus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 15 at 1:06pm
Very true kw, but some of them think sunfish and lasers are tippy.
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 15 at 1:19pm
haha.... it's all those over-sized toppers they sail in the mid-west, it's gives a disproportionate concept of stability.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 15 at 1:53pm
I understand now. I suppose it is no more tippy than lots of racing boats, but because it is made of plastic, one expects it to sit on the water like a Vision, or a supertanker. 
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
JohnJack View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 15 at 2:17pm
Had a go in a Vago about a year ago and must say it was pleasantly surprise. Seemed quite spacious upfront, easy to handle and nice to sail. Bit of a thrill with the 'race' sails as well.
Boats in that comparison are probably RS Vision, Topper Magno and Topper Omega (though the Omega might be a bit big). They are kind of robust, suit all type boats. Think they are all roto moulded as well so for what they are, they are pretty robust......

Or a Topper Vibe

Edited by JohnJack - 10 Jul 15 at 2:22pm
giwy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote giwy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 15 at 11:09am
Right ok a few weeks on, a few hours research, looking at weight of boats and watching a lot of YouTube videos here are my conclusions on what I think might suit me or not.

1. Phantom - nice single hander, a little flat on the water as I want a thrill too, but maybe a good starter but am worried about the thrill seeker in me.

2. Solo, pretty much the same as above

3. RS Vareo, good single hander, looks like it's a bit of a thrill seeker so a defo possible

4. Laser vago, double hander but can be sailed single handed, however all YouTube videos shows everyone sailing single handed out on the trapeze so don't think I'm ready for that but would love to get out on the trapeze double handed.

5. Topper Magno - seems like a good single and double hander, lots of room, will cruise, will thrill, quite lite, not sure about the trapeze situation with me being 19 - 20 stone

6. Topper Vibe - seems like a very similar boat to the Magno but a bit more racey and more options, again same issue with the trapeze

I think considering all the above and my original post of wanting a double handler which can be sailed and raced single handed with the trapeze if you want to use it rather than you have to use it my heavier weight I am leaning to the 2 toppers?

Your thoughts would be really appreciated.

Also apart from Appoloduck where else is a good place to find secondhand boats?
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 15 at 11:33am
The Phantom is a big powerful boat. Its definitely by far the fastest boat on your list, and will easily beat the Vareo round the track.
giwy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote giwy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 15 at 12:12pm
And I've just noticed its one of the lightest, Jesus decisions decisions, anyone else????
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 15 at 12:54pm
Well the thing is the last 3 on your list are rotomoulded thermoplastic boats.
This is a different form of construction, used primarily for entry level boats and ones for the less committed racer.
Its main advantages are:

- cheaper mass production
- very resilient to knocks and bumps

The main disadvantages are:-

- tends to be rather heavier, especially for larger boats
- not as stiff, which tends to mean the boat feels a bit less crisp to the experienced sailor

The Solo and the Phantom are full on race boats, and even though the Solo is a rather small and slowish boat of rather elderly design, modern foam sandwich (=glass fibre) ones are the fastest possible slowish elderly design if that makes any sense! Both have been in production for a good many years, which means that there are older cheaper and not as intrinsically fast boats about, including wood as well as plastic ones.

The Vareo is kinda between the two stools. Its not really a full on race boat, but its not entry level either.

Edited by JimC - 25 Jul 15 at 12:54pm
fish n ships View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote fish n ships Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 15 at 2:00pm
I think this can be narrowed down fairly easily. From what you say for me it would be simply between the phantom and the vareo. My experience of the vago singlehanded us that it's a lot of work for not much reward, it feels like you're constantly fighting it. I would imagine the other two rotos are the same just because you can sail them single handed doesn't mean you should. Also I would imagine without racing the solo isn't offering anything that a phantom can't do faster, lighter and without bashing your shins on the cb case.

The other thing to remember is that although your local club won't be racing, there's nothing to stop you taking the boat out on the travellers circuit. I know the phantom has a good scedule of events, not sure on the vareo.

Ultimately though I'd just try both boats (in a few wind strengths) and see what you think. Chances are one will just feel better than the other and your decision is made. The only other suggestion would be a d-one but I appreciate that they ain't cheap and may be a touch quick depending on the size of the water you sail on.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>