FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS600 Tiller extension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dohertpk View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote dohertpk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RS600 Tiller extension
    Posted: 20 Jun 15 at 8:44pm
Hi all,
I managed to snap my beloved carbon tiller extension today. Where do people buy their skiff tiller extensions? Happy with either carbon or aluminium but I need somewhere that will ship to Dublin at a reasonable price. Also, what length am I looking for? 2.5m?

Cheers,
Peter
Paramedic View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 15 at 8:47am
If it's carbon it'll repair.
Jamie600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamie600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 15 at 9:04pm
Peter, you just need to insert a carbon tube sleeve coated in a paste made from epoxy mixed with microfibres, then wrap the outside with carbon tape soaked with epoxy.
This will give a solid repair but you can go a bit further by adding graphite powder to the epoxy, so you can sand and fill the area around the tape with something that matches the tiller, to give a less visible repair.
Carbonology.com will sell you all of the above bits, or a new tube if you'd rather replace it
RS600 1001
dohertpk View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote dohertpk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 15 at 9:14pm
Thanks a million for the above - unfortunately, half of the extension is now at the bottom of the harbour so it will have to be a full new tube. Just had a look at carbonology there...damn sight cheaper than buying a new stick from LDC!
catmandoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote catmandoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 15 at 10:40pm
Pop some string up middle of new one , next time you break you will have bits to repair :) 
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 15 at 7:43am
http://www.c2marine.co.uk/extensions.php

Get a big  Thumbs Up from me, simple with exactly the right amount of grip, one on both boats. 
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 15 at 9:24am
the C2 sticks are awesome strong - i think you'll need a 2.3m stick on the 600 unless you are un-feasibly tall though or tall and on wide wings... standard was always 2.1 and i think most 'upgraded' to 2.3m
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 15 at 9:53pm
I managed to break my C2 extension - demonstrating how strong it was!  Very good and grippy too - so long as you don't do my Charles Atlas act.  

Raw cabonology toobing is a bit slippy without wrapping grip tape around it - also the cheaper tubes are uni-directional carbon (ie the fibres run only along the length of the tube), so they lack compression and burst strength.   This one would be good: http://www.carbonology.com/25m-woven-carbon-tube-19mm-id-222mm-od-p-361.html

Having said which I have a slightly re-inforced unidirectional carbonology tube as my Javelin spinnaker pole (all 7ft of it) and it's lasting OK - despite bending scarily round the forestay for a while yesterday.
Javelin 558
Contender 2574
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 15 at 6:03am
is anyone making new 600's or anyone trying to find someone to do it?
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 15 at 8:47am
http://www.theboatyardatbeer.com/

The took the 600 and 300 mould's on when RS stop actively promoting them.  The 300 is thriving, would be fantastic if the 600 did once again, but its quite a big jump now for anyone to buy new.  

Edit:  they also build the 700 for RS and looking at the blog page the new 200's too  Smile

Edited by Neptune - 25 Jun 15 at 8:50am
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
 Post Reply Post Reply