New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Sailing a slow boat in a fast fleet - tips please.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sailing a slow boat in a fast fleet - tips please.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
jeffers View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sailing a slow boat in a fast fleet - tips please.
    Posted: 10 Jun 15 at 11:40am
In that case start committee boat end, put in a short hitch to get clear air and then sail all the way to the mark in clean wind.... Probably the same 'penalty' as starting a little late just behind the fast boats.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Woodburner View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Woodburner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 15 at 11:45am
Originally posted by iiiiitick

Personally I have been first to the mark twice in my 'career'? Once in a Lightning and once in a Solo. The cheer could be heard for many miles!

So what happened Tick didn't you enjoy it? Was it lonely out front, or too confusing not knowing where you're supposed to go next? Wink

It's funny life.. Some of us just can't cope with not being up the front and some can't cope when they get there and don't like it. Not saying you're either tick, it's just I suppose what you get used to or develop a taste for. Personally I'm not equipped mentally to deal with what goes on down the back of fleets or being overtaken, I'm trying, really hard, you have to be such a better person.. Confused

Post Options Post Options   Quote Woodburner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 15 at 11:49am
Originally posted by jeffers

In that case start committee boat end, put in a short hitch to get clear air and then sail all the way to the mark in clean wind.... Probably the same 'penalty' as starting a little late just behind the fast boats.

It was a downwind start, the problem occurred at the next mark which should have been the windward mark now turned leeward, the fetch was to the old gybe mark. With all water rights removed because it became a tidally induced windward approach on port into oncoming starboard boats from behind.

Tricky one, no way out of jail.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 15 at 2:43pm
Sail a faster boat, be first on the water, problem solved.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
iiiiitick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiiiitick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 15 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Woodburner

Originally posted by iiiiitick

Personally I have been first to the mark twice in my 'career'? Once in a Lightning and once in a Solo. The cheer could be heard for many miles!

So what happened Tick didn't you enjoy it? Was it lonely out front, or too confusing not knowing where you're supposed to go next? Wink

It's funny life.. Some of us just can't cope with not being up the front and some can't cope when they get there and don't like it. Not saying you're either tick, it's just I suppose what you get used to or develop a taste for. Personally I'm not equipped mentally to deal with what goes on down the back of fleets or being overtaken, I'm trying, really hard, you have to be such a bette

I was a very competitive crew and once I tried hard as a helm but as I age and begin to rot improvement seems harder to achieve so I only sail when it pleases me, probably tonight since the sun is shining. I will however try to beat those who are worse than me. 

Evidently young Fuller you have a competitive spirit in sailing business and many other things. I drift through life on my sunlit hillside with butterflies circling round my head.....

Post Options Post Options   Quote Woodburner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 15 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Sail a faster boat, be first on the water, problem solved.

That's exactly what I've been doing all this time, now it's time for something different, this is much harder work and about as upsetting as finding how far back you are on handicap in reality..

Life is never perfect.

But all the time you think you can still improve, it remains worthwhile, I so wish I had Ticks temperament, of Sunfilled uplands and butterflies, but I haven't, I'm saddled with this infernal drive for more, so ever onward Wink My sunfilled uplands with buttercups is the downhill i ride every morning tearing through it as fast as my bike will take me. Confused

Edited by Woodburner - 10 Jun 15 at 3:20pm
iiiiitick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiiiitick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 15 at 3:20pm
I shall go and talk to the sheep......

Post Options Post Options   Quote Woodburner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 15 at 3:22pm
Cattle... they got out the other morning which didn't go down at all well when they blocked the main road, and it wasn't me that stampeded them for a change.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123