New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Sailing a slow boat in a fast fleet - tips please.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sailing a slow boat in a fast fleet - tips please.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
jeffers View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sailing a slow boat in a fast fleet - tips please.
    Posted: 08 Jun 15 at 3:53pm
Clear Astern and Clear Ahead; Overlap One boat is clear astern of another when her hull and equipment in normal position are behind a line abeam from the aftermost point of the other boat’s hull and equipment in normal position. The other boat is clear ahead. They overlap when neither is clear astern. However, they also overlap when a boat between them overlaps both. These terms always apply to boats on the same tack. They do not apply to boats on opposite tacks unless rule 18 applies or both boats are sailing more than ninety degrees from the true wind.

Do remember that if a boat establishes an overlap to leeward from astern is it their proper course and not your proper course that counts so assymetrics sailing a hot angles can still push you up.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Woodburner View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Woodburner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 15 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by jeffers

Do remember that if a boat establishes an overlap to leeward from astern is it their proper course and not your proper course that counts so assymetrics sailing a hot angles can still push you up.
Oh dear Embarrassed 

Still I did retire after I got boat rage and rammed him. Confused
Neal_g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neal_g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 15 at 10:53am
isn't there a great video of a miracle demonstrating that at hythe
(Redoubt Sc)
Miracle 4040
GP14 13407

Crewsaver phase 2 range now available to buy online on at http://www.gibsonsails.com

Post Options Post Options   Quote Woodburner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 15 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Neal_g

isn't there a great video of a miracle demonstrating that at hythe

That wasn't a fast fleet, half a dozen single handers and a Merlin? Nope doesn't count

A dozen boats including laser 4000, Hornet, Tasar, 470, 3 Contenders, RS500, RS100 (10.2)Merlin, all came by on a downwind then upwind fetch, nothing to be done about it, a typical crap Hythe course, not like those proper courses the Miracles get down that lake.. Wink
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 15 at 7:57pm
Hope you don't mind Jeffers, I've copied your post into the rules thread for more prodding & poking.
sawman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 15 at 11:10pm
its all about the start really, just trying to get a bit of clear air, to windward of the pack and escapeing the fast boats churned up wind shadow. I take great delight in hammering the start and pushing the miracle around the 1st mark within the first few boats, then just trying to hang one to something near me that has a faster handicap. We often have phantoms, solutions, various asymmetrics and even a couple of cats, for added fun!
the pic below shows the kielder Dam to Dam race - the miracle (us) at the committee boat end of the line finished 3rd overall - having said that most of the cats were on their 2nd cup of tea and had packed their boats up by the time we finished the 10 mile race

Edited by sawman - 09 Jun 15 at 11:12pm
iiiiitick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiiiitick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 15 at 10:22am
At our little inland water it is always a quick sprint to the first, windward mark. The well sailed Bytes can start well and get there first if they are lucky. The longer they stay ahead the better it will be for them on handicap. On the next long reach the faster boats will barrel through. Best avoid an irrationally sailed Phantom!
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 15 at 10:51am
Same at Hunts. the start is key as it is easier to be well up by the windward mark, you can then control the race from near the front. Managed to keep our resident Phantom fleet and the other D-Zero behind me for most of the race (until i retired as things were running late and I had to be home).
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Post Options Post Options   Quote Woodburner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 15 at 11:05am
The start is normally always key, but in this latest circumstance the better tactical decision was to start late and let them go. Why?

Because it was none tactical windward course, all fetch and run with a nasty counter tide meaning the ability to sail high was essential, so fast boats overtaking the leading slow boat forced the leader to have to tack rather than fetch the mark, (oh and it was a starboard hander so every fast boat had to be given way to round) so the boat(s) that started late had clear air to the tidal affected mark and made it in one with no impedance to mark rounding.

Not something you could have immediately planned for in your pre race strategic thinking, least I didn't, still interesting even these forty years later, you learn something new....

Edited by Woodburner - 10 Jun 15 at 11:11am
iiiiitick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiiiitick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 15 at 11:34am
Personally I have been first to the mark twice in my 'career'? Once in a Lightning and once in a Solo. The cheer could be heard for many miles!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>