FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which boat do I buy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
turnturtle View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which boat do I buy
    Posted: 12 May 15 at 2:38am
Go for the Laser - cheap to run and you can flog it in a couple of years if you want extra cash for potentially going to uni.
themeaningoflife View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote themeaningoflife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 15 at 11:25am
I went RS800 with some messing around in 600s and 300s at your age (only 3 years ago!) and found it a great laugh, a steep learning curve obviously, but if you can accept getting wet and have patience/ ask around for tips then it should be ok. On the other hand I had quite a lot more skiff experience but it shouldn't make too much difference if you can handle the 400 and 200 ok when it starts getting properly blowy then I would say go for the 300!
Cambridge University Lightweight Rowing Club
RS800 1128

kindly sponsored by RWO Marine
tickel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tickel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 15 at 1:57pm
At your weight, you could just about manage a Byte C2, but you must promise to never, ever, ever eat again......
tickel
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 15 at 6:48pm
Tbf a 300 will be cheap to run and will hold its value, the trouble is the initial purchase price. Same applies to a Solo really. Sails last and depreciation is minimal (If even existent on the right solo)

Like all things this is budget dependant. £3k buys you a good Laser, decent 300, rather battered frp Solo - or a really nice wooden Miles/Gosling Solo.

Id suggest that if the budget is much less than £3k your choice is an older wood/compsite Solo (Severn Sailboats are OK tbf, or a Miles woddie of you can find one) or a Laser.

Edited by Paramedic - 12 May 15 at 6:49pm
Caveman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Caveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 15 at 7:41pm
I love my Solo but then I am in my fifties while you are 16 years old. All the young people I know who have sailed a Solo are really surprised by how much fun they are. But, as a realist, I appreciate that there is no real street cred to be had from sailing a Solo! 

I really rate the new D Zero and RS Aero but I assume that they could be out of your price range for the time being at least. That being the case, I reckon that the only real choice is a Laser. 

It should be easy to find a boat to suit your budget whatever it is (your parents will like that). You will be able to choose from either the radial or the full rig. There should be a competitive Laser fleet at your local sailing club. Lasers are durable and spares are cheap. They are fun to sail on inland waters or on the sea.  Lastly, you should be able to sell on your Laser when you decide to switch to a new boat or a choose a new activity. 

Edited by Caveman - 12 May 15 at 7:43pm
Enthusiasm>Skill
AlexGruber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexGruber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 15 at 7:51pm
I am looking for a Laser around the £1,750 range not any more than £2,000 with a road base but haven't had much luck finding a good boat with a road base, there's plenty without, but I need a road trailer.

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexGruber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 15 at 7:55pm
I'm using Apollo Duck to search and email possible sellers, but after email several people a message has come up saying ''Service Unavailable" and it has done this multiple times, how do I go about contacting people now?
HELPP
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 15 at 7:58pm
Anything on the dinghies and bits Facebook page?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 15 at 10:46am
It depends on budget, but assuming its second hand, laser is the obvious choice. Most clubs allow the use of replica sails in normal racing, so Rooster sails can be used and their radial is nicely cut and much cheaper than the Laser red button sail. If you get into it, in a couple of ]years you can move up to a 300 or by that point there should be s/hand RS aero's on the market which work very well inland and on the sea - also dead easy to cartop. 

Solo is fine inland, but they don't like chop much and just aren't fast enough in tidal locations.

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexGruber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 15 at 11:12am
Cheers guys for all your help and advice, it's been appreciated.
I've decided to buy a Laser which I got for an excellent deal and will be picking it up this Sunday.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>