FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

repairs to a Topper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
djdhi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote djdhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: repairs to a Topper
    Posted: 21 Apr 15 at 2:18pm
Hi, I'm looking at a Topper for sale, quite well equipped and at a reasonable price.  The snag  is that it has a 4 cm in length bite out of the foredeck edge , obviously the result of  a heavy collision. I do know that  Toppers are the made of poly propylene.  Can they be prepared using a household epoxy kit.?
Many thanks
djdhi
foaminatthedeck View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote foaminatthedeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 15 at 7:06pm
You used to be able to buy plastic from Topper which could then be used to affect plastic weld repairs using a heat source. A better option than an epoxy repair which due to the massive variation in material stiffness is unlikely to stay bonded for long.

Lark 2170
transient View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote transient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 15 at 7:59pm
Polypropylene is a right pig to glue, not much will stick to it. As  foamin says, welding is about the only option.
sandgrounder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sandgrounder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 15 at 8:59pm
What you actually require is a hot air (plastic welding) tool. I use a Leister Triac S. Please don't bother with a hair drier or wallpaper removal tool, you'll be wasting your time. You also require some polypropylene welding rods. I have some of these in both red and white. PM me if you require any additional information.

Edited by sandgrounder - 21 Apr 15 at 9:13pm
Buzz View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Buzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 15 at 1:03pm
If you are in Cornwall I have a hot air welder and plastic welding rods.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 15 at 1:12pm
There are so many Toppers about though is it really worth purchasing a damaged one bearing in mind the hassle factor.
Buzz View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Buzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 15 at 4:51pm
If the damage is where the hull and deck join be very careful. The deck and hull are joined by embedding copper tape at the two edges. Electricity is passed through the wire which fuses the hull and deck together. If the join is broken then you can't weld the plastic back together as you cant create a 'V' groove with a chisel in which to insert the welding rod. An ordinary split is quite easy to fix.
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 15 at 10:10pm
Polyprop can't be glued, only welded.
The deck joint is back a bit, you see lots of dry perfectly Toppers with chunks missing from the gunwales, but I have also seen boats that have had a shunt on the edge and split open.
Blow it up through the bunghole until the fordeck swells then pour soapy water along it.
 Post Reply Post Reply