FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Submerged mooring of a Laser One

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 15 at 7:24pm
Windsurfing is popular in Malta. Take up windsurfing.
Keith Sharp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Sharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 15 at 7:40pm
Well Windsurfing is a young person's sport.  Maybe Laser sailing is too, so here's a selfie of me walking my Laser instead: some steep uphills following the one-way system  for 500 metres to put it in its home hanging from the rafters:

AlexM View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 15 at 8:01pm
Get someone to come and pick you up after sailing, you sit in the boot hanging on to the boat. It's what my dad did to me when I was younger ;)
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 15 at 8:11pm
Get LP to mould you one in ferrocrete, worked for the Mulberrys.

you are truly barking
sandgrounder View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote sandgrounder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 15 at 9:05pm
speak with Trevor Millar at SailCoach on Malta. He may let you store it with his fleet of Lasers, right on the water, for a small fee......
JohnW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 15 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Keith Sharp

... some steep uphills following the one-way system  for 500 metres to put it in its home hanging from the rafters:

How about getting a powered jockey wheel to do the work?

Edited by JohnW - 21 Apr 15 at 10:39pm
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 15 at 10:49pm
The caravan movers are v low speed I think which might be a bit tedious, but having earlier suggested a bicycle and a low friction trailer, I now wonder about an electric assisted bicycle. You might be able to hire one to try out whether its practical.
Keith Sharp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Sharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 15 at 11:08pm
<<speak with Trevor Millar at SailCoach on Malta. He may let you store it with his fleet of Lasers, right on the water, for a small fee......>>

Thanks. A fee is fine, though SailCoach some distance from here at Balluta.

<<electric assisted bicycle.>> I rode one in Toronto for a while and it was anaemic on hills.  Even Toronto hills!  Maybe some heavy duty tricycle versions would have enough power to drag a Laser up the one-in-tens.  

sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 15 at 12:00am
So to sum up:

There seems to be a reason why not for every land storage option.

You have a feasible plan for storing a Laser underwater.

But if you do the marine environment will ensure that it is not a Laser for very long.  (Think weeks not months!)

So something completely different is the answer.

scullyman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote scullyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 15 at 8:18am
I propose a hybrid theory:

Find yourself a "small" electric motor e.g. golf cart sized. Add a rotating wheel to the front of your Laser trolley. Affix the electric motor. Add a straight handlebar at the top. Sit on the bow of your boat and drive it up the hill... if the wind was behind you you could even leave your sail up for some assisted power.

It's not that different from sea legs RIBs tbh.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>