FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Submerged mooring of a Laser One

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
allanorton View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote allanorton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 15 at 1:08pm
Leaving it strapped to a car roof rack would be almost as mad.
gordon1277 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 15 at 2:11pm
Just let us know how it survives. In time it could turn into a small reef!
You could charge people to view through a glass bottomed version so a tourist attraction as well.
Gordon
Lossc
scullyman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote scullyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 15 at 2:24pm
This is my new favourite thread and leads to lateral thinking fun. I'm going to start with an easy one: are there any rules around outhauls (but I'm building up to more exciting ideas involving some kind of dynamically positioned floating anchor)?
scullyman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote scullyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 15 at 2:30pm
Nonononono. Better idea. Can you get someone to make you a kind of shaped giant balloon that fits through the big hole that you've drilled in the back of the boat. That way when you want to raise it you pump air into the balloon which in turn expels the water from the hull. It also gives you sealed positive buoyancy for sailing and avoids the need to keep a flock of children (of no doubt uncertain weight depending on the amount of ice cream consumed that day) at hand for the sinking process.
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 15 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by scullyman

This is my new favourite thread and leads to lateral thinking fun. I'm going to start with an easy one: are there any rules around outhauls (but I'm building up to more exciting ideas involving some kind of dynamically positioned floating anchor)?

If on a Laser read the class rules they are very prescriptive.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
scullyman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote scullyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 15 at 2:50pm
Thanks, Paul - aware of the class rules, I was more thinking a long rope attached to a pulley on the shore like you'd use for a tender! Mind you, if you've got a suggestion as to how you could use the outhaul on the end of your boom to sink the boat I'd love to hear it. :-)
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 15 at 3:18pm
so a haul out rather than an outhaul then ;)
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
scullyman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote scullyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 15 at 3:24pm
If you asked the harbour master for a haul out he'd charge you for lifting your boat out for the day so you could scrub it... unless he was of less reasonable mind in which case he'd give you a profane suggestion.

If you asked him for an outhaul, he'd provide you with a rope and a block and tackle on shore. This is today's interesting fact for you.
Noah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 15 at 3:26pm
Suspend it from an anchored dirigible at c.1500ft. You could sell rides in the Laser(r) Gondola!
JohnJack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 15 at 3:28pm
Wasn't sure when I first read this that you were serious, however it seem like you are.
If your house is only 300m away, though up a hill and presumably you have room to store it. Why not get a little quadbike/trike or the like to tow it up there.
It could also double up as a little run around.

Or convert a tractor mower ???? Just a thought ;-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>