FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Back on the Lake.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back on the Lake.
    Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 4:44pm
Indeed it is more fun to whine bitch and moan, point out the f**kedupedness of it all and wind them up with the term bandit.. (You have to remember this is still all relatively new to me and y'all do take your handicaps very seriously, which presents a target rich environment for ironic exchange from a cynical old windsurfer.. ).

You have forgotten option 4.

Make a boat that will cope with it all, lake, sea, not capsize, go fast with a small rig and not make me ache like a demon the next day from all that kneeling down.

So with all that in mind I shall shortly become an official wood botherer I think I have just about finalised a plan and how to execute it with my crude woodworking skills.

Get ready for the V3..
Neal_g View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neal_g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 5:39pm
just for GRF's benefit

1st miracle
2nd buzz
3rd miracle
4th solo
5th solo

the gap between 1st and 2nd was 2 seconds on corrected and between 1st and 3rd was 7 seconds on corrected
(Redoubt Sc)
Miracle 4040
GP14 13407

Crewsaver phase 2 range now available to buy online on at http://www.gibsonsails.com
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 6:05pm
Not such a Miracle fest after all - maybe the eps is the only one with a problem?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 6:12pm
Clearly the Buzz is a bandit as well.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 6:28pm
The Buzz must be being sailed by some seriously talented sailors to get that high up the fleet on a tiny puddle - either that or the course contained some perfect reaches for kite flying.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 6:45pm
No, they're half decent jocks the pair of them, doesn't matter what they sail they'll be at the front getting in the way and disturbing the karma of the righteous.

There are a lot of good sailors down the lake, that's why I like it, it's really tight racing, I learn loads down there, but the day will yet dawn.....

Edited by iGRF - 01 Dec 14 at 6:49pm
sawman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 6:49pm
I think GRFs problem is that he has stumbled upon a hotbed of fast miracle sailors (top end of the nationals fleet) The standard of sailing in the top 10 of the miracle nationals is really very good, and would stand competition with any of the more mainstream classes top helms.

Neal-g - why don't you make a fast boat for Nick Craig?

Edited by sawman - 01 Dec 14 at 6:50pm
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 9:12pm
We have had the discussion on Miracles a few times. The top of the fleet is indeed very competitive and contains many good sailors but the average miracle sailor is clearly not in the same league as the guys at the top of the nationals fleet.
Interestingly our resident Miracle sailors have always performed well and it doesn't get much more tidal than our club, so I'm pretty happy that they behave well in tide and waves. Indeed our top Miracle was often holding the 200s around the course, but having now got a 200 themselves are now in the pack!
In the past Miracles were slower upwind than either Fireflies or Graduates but recovered their losses with the kite up. With the move to in-board sheeting on the jib, they are as quick as a Firefly upwind and yet their handicap has gone the other way.
It's obvious what's happening and makes you think back to the topic about where in the data PYs should come from. In my opinion it's a good argument for using something approaching the faster end of the distribution.
GybeFunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 14 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by iGRF

y'all do take your handicaps very seriously 

This from the guy who cancelled an order on a boat when he found out that a predicted handicap wasnt favourable........
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 14 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by GybeFunny

Originally posted by iGRF

y'all do take your handicaps very seriously 

This from the guy who cancelled an order on a boat when he found out that a predicted handicap wasnt favourable........

Exactly.

So seriously are they taken, we (consumers) now base our purchasing decisions firmly on that, why not? Why dump a perfectly acceptable boat that I enjoy sailing for another one that although I might equally enjoy sailing, it is going to put me at even more of a disadvantage and lighten my wallet by five grand for the privilege ? Nice it might be but it's not five grand nicer, given it lost one of its USP's and I'm not even following the same trend that lead to lots of Phantoms being purchased, 1040-50 wasn't that much of a benefit given it has a smaller sail and is shorter than my current ride and with less righting moment.
By the time it settles and my guess is it'll be 1030-1035 come March, there will be new motorways built and another winter will have flown and it is all Simon Loveseys fault I have decided, he is my new hate figure, denying me a new boat the b**tard.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>