FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Protecting my knees

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
piglet View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Protecting my knees
    Posted: 20 Oct 14 at 2:30pm
Join Pevensey.
There seems to be a gentlemans agreement amoungst our Blaze (mini)fleet to not do anything that may be considered leaning out.
I wondered if the fleet had jury boats at national events dishing out 720's to anyone who put their toes anywhere near the straps?

Buy a Contender, better boat all round.
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 14 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by JimC

>third option

The IC presumably...

Nope, definitely the d one.

Fitness is the only way to protect the knees.  Cycling is probably the best form of exercise to achieve this.  I finished off my knee cartilage at the Dutch contender nationals last year - marginal trapezing followed by pivoting under the boom. The resultant damage meant surgery.   I hasten to say all this was preceded by a lifetime of over exercise, basketball and sailing 470s wearing a weight jacket.

I made it bad again last week bring forced to sail picos and crew an rs vision in light winds and have resolved to get out the balance board and the bike, as well as sell the contender and focus on the knee friendly d one.

Edited by winging it - 20 Oct 14 at 2:51pm
the same, but different...

ifoxwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ifoxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 14 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by piglet

Buy a Contender, better boat all round.

Well thats bound to get a reaction but true or false, its not better in a fleet of Blazes
RS300
ifoxwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ifoxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 14 at 3:07pm
Squash, Tennis players etc were those bandages over joints to help support them.

Do they work, and is there nothing like that which will help us?

Ian
RS300
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 6:55am
I tried wearing a knee support (the type with the patella hole) but found it just never stayed in place, there is just too much rang of movement for it to be effective when sailing.

My 3/4 length hikers do a good job of supporting my knees though and the give an essential bit of knee padding too.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 7:31am
Originally posted by jeffers

I tried wearing a knee support (the type with the patella hole) but found it just never stayed in place, there is just too much rang of movement for it to be effective when sailing.

My 3/4 length hikers do a good job of supporting my knees though and the give an essential bit of knee padding too.

Totally agree.
the same, but different...

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 8:35am
Try yoga, too.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 9:34am
agree with Jeffers- I tried knee supports, and wear a hinged support when snowboarding on proper mountains, but for sailing they just get squashed and off centre- probably not doing a dodgy knee any favours at all really.

FWIW - and it could be the boat as much as the hikers, but I had no knee trouble at all in my Solo.  I always wore my Sandiline Hikers- which are compression grade 'kneeoprene'  for superior support.  Yes, they are more expensive than the usual brands, but 1) they actually work really well 2) they are very well built so won't fall apart in a season 3) the weigh very little (weigh a set of Magic Marine hikers and tell me if you want to add the dead weight!)

Honestly, I can't recommend them highly enough.

Edited by kneewrecker - 21 Oct 14 at 9:35am
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 10:18am
You've seen this, Ian?:
http://www.roostersailing.com/articles/Hiking_Style.html

I can give you some exercises that turned my knees from ones that flopped out of joint into bombproof ones. My knees are much better now than in 1993, pre-exercises, despite hiking and indeed weeks of sailing Lasers in Minorca (actually, I felt that correct, straight-leg hiking improved my knees while recovering from a cartilage op. that I might never have needed had I done the exercises earlier).
starlite617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote starlite617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 14 at 12:46pm
My left knee needs more than protecting. I am due to have a left total knee replacement (TKR) in four weeks time. My orthopaedic surgeon is against dinghy sailing afterwards.  He believes, that the cement that binds the metalwork to the bone will shear prematurely (after 6 or 7 years) under the torsional loads on the knee in dinghy sailing. I've come down through a series of boats to a Streaker and don't think I experience any torsional loads on my knee (and I've just ordered a new sale from P&B!). In the last 15 months I've found hiking to be OK, certainly much more comfortable than the bone-on-bone on pain from walking.

I'm looking for general advice, but an orthopaedic surgeon who sails a Streaker would be a bonus!
Starlite
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>