FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

made to measure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bucketlist65 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote bucketlist65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: made to measure
    Posted: 13 Oct 14 at 10:46pm
as an ex rugby player where my plus sized frame was a bonus, the same does not seem to apply in the world of sailing. As a beginner l am looking at a complete out fit, keen to buy quality which performs but dont want the budget to run away with itself, which does seem quite where sailing is concerned. Any help would be appreciated.
andymck View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote andymck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 14 at 12:26am
We need to know a little bit more, such as the type of sailing you intend to participate in, and where. There will be a big difference in the kit required, e.g. big boats, day boat, or a dinghy/ cat, and what is available off the shelf. Then choice of wetsuit, drysuit, or just off shore type waterproofs.

Andy

Edited by andymck - 14 Oct 14 at 12:33am
Andy Mck

Post Options Post Options   Quote bucketlist65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 14 at 6:55am
Funny enough l thought you might need a bit more when l was settling down for the night. I am looking at the Dart 18 catamaran, so it needs to fit well but l need to be able to move about in it, thermal undies built in boots etc l used to sale over 30years ago Wayfarer's a much more sedate class l rarely got wet but with the Dart it looks like it is impossible to avoid! Your reply is appreciated.
andymck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote andymck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 14 at 6:30pm
Typhoon do a made to measure service on dry suits. Worth a call. The other company to try would be trident.

Either way, let us know how you get on.

Andy
Andy Mck

Post Options Post Options   Quote bucketlist65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 14 at 7:34pm
Thanks l will give them a go and let you know.

Post Options Post Options   Quote bucketlist65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 14 at 5:02pm
Went to Andark Diving in Lower Swanwick very helpful tried on a Typhoon Mx B size LB and supprisingly it fitted, the thermal underwear didn't fit my chest but did everwhere else so might have to have a rethink on what l wear underneath it but for now this beginner is off the shelf! Happy with that.
patj View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 14 at 6:36am
It may surprise some, but you don't have to be totally dressed in branded clothing from the expensive chandlery to go sailing. M&S or Millets thermals and a fleece top and tracksuit bottoms from the local supermarket work perfectly well under my drysuit saving me enough money to pay the entry fee for some winter events!
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 14 at 8:53am
Asda do a good range, too - in black, so not the nasty grey colour they used to be! Not that it stopped me wearing them...
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply