FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Demise of the double hander

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Demise of the double hander
    Posted: 13 Oct 14 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by maxibuddah

Igrf your pie is safe

My pie? I share my pie, it's your pie folk might want to get their hands on..

All that sailing knowledge baked in a pie..
JohnJack View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 14 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Originally posted by maxibuddah

It's just easier to sail single-handed.

No commitment. No hassle with your crew or helm.

A more selfish world when you can do what you want whenever you want and how you want without the need to think of someone else

This is certainly true, but maybe a little sad. Mind you, I now cart an extra boat and rupertson around to events - more complex than sailing a doublehander together. But fewer arguments!

Equivelent 1 person/2 person boats...

Solo/Ent, as you say. Should have been Laser/Laser 2 but "they" cocked it up. Oppie/Cadet. Contender/Flying Dutchman. Musto Skiff/49er. RS700/RS800.

Boats that should have had an equivelent (unless I've missed it)...

Fireball. Firefly (why no Fairey Marine singlehander? Yes, they made Finns, but not what I mean) GP14 (there must be/have been a boat in this niche, surely?)

Having sailed at mainly clubs with predominantly 'older' classes. GP's Ents, Grads, N14 etc etc All of these boats, with a bit of skill could be singlehanded if in a pinch for a crew. Could you single hand an RS400, Fireball etc etc?

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 14 at 4:06pm
Not saying they can't - more wondering what the genuline singlehanded version is. Pointless exercise, I admit.

Seen the singlehanded by a fairly beefy chap quite often, and the Fireball is pretty easy. Makes a nice trap singlehander, actually.

Edited by Rupert - 13 Oct 14 at 4:07pm
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
iiitick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiitick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 14 at 5:15pm
I was part of a double handed outfit for many years. Our circumstances were much the same, lots of kids etc. We had great fun for years as well as spectacular arguments. The good thing was, (good?) he made me sail when I did not feel inclined and vice versa.  Eventually we followed separate paths, but I miss it. 
rb_stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 14 at 6:04pm
Interesting seeing the singlehander/doublehander pairings.

As a heavyweight I know that the Phantom, Finn and maybe OK are suitable, but I can think of no double hander for heavyweight helms apart from the Albacore. So Finn/Albacore?
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 14 at 6:43pm
Wayfarers, gp14 and 505 all suit the larger gent IMO, FD crew, Javelin, Merlins, i14.....
AlexM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 14 at 7:29pm
And as I'm finding out so does the X1 in any conditions
maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 14 at 7:29pm
maybe but not as the helm normally. I'd love to sail a two person boat, but there aren't many that will take my weight as the helm.

What is the Kestrel like for carrying weight? They seem pretty big with plenty of sail and are fast. We have a few at our club and they look as though they should be ok

Edited by maxibuddah - 13 Oct 14 at 7:32pm
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
AlanH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 14 at 7:51pm
Maxi- try an Osprey, they really carry weight. Others include FF, Wayfarer.
ChrisI View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ChrisI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 14 at 9:07pm
Maxi,

The X1 in fact prefers the helm (90kg plus) to be heavier than the crew - you must try a sail (.... I think you missed doing so at the FOM?).

Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>