FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Solution.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 34>
Author
Null View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Null Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Solution.
    Posted: 29 Sep 14 at 1:02pm
Wasnt there a breakup between the deigners or oweners of Red Eye Sails that developed the solution.  It was ages ago so cant remember the details.  Its such a shame as its a great little boat.

Sadly it is dangerously close to the solo in terms of speed, type of boat etc.  That area of the market is somewhat well catered for.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 14 at 1:26pm
It even has a Wiki nothing on there about the break up.

So is it managed by the Class or the builder?

And there probably lies the problem.

Nobody stacking them up and trailing them round the country for demo's
boatshed View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote boatshed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 14 at 2:07pm
I think it floats very high when on it's side and it isn't that easy to get onto the plate or even reach the plate when in the water.  Puts the average club racer off  a bit.   

Edited by boatshed - 29 Sep 14 at 4:02pm
Steve
Roger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 14 at 8:49pm
It's just over £6000 with trolly and covers so not overly expensive, you couldn't get a new FRP Solo for that.
Comparing with the new babies the Solution of course does not have a carbon mast, which may or may not have made a difference to it'd success. I remember talking to Andrew Elliott about it when they had the first prototypes on the water, I seem to remember it was done on cost, he wanted to keep the price as low as possible.

All the other points are valid, its considered hard to sail to it's PY, floats high on it's side, but those who sail it seem to love it.

getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 14 at 9:17pm
Perhaps it just wasn't different enough? Price, sailing experience, handling ashore and afloat, I never really saw it offering something you weren't going to get from a Solo, Byte, Streaker, OK, Laser Radial, Byte etc?
iiitick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiitick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 14 at 9:19pm
At the Ovington Inlands a couple of years ago they shared a course with Bytes albeit five mins ahead. The quicker Bytes were surprised to sail through them.
mangoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mangoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 14 at 2:54pm
I always wanted a Solution from when they first came out, just looked the ideal boat for someone of my weight (76kg) but at the time there was a fleet of Vortexes on the Medway and with the introduction of the asymmetric kite that was ( in my mind) a great singlehander for the place.
I have now relocated to Norfolk and am sailing a Solution at Hickling Broad.
It is far more comfortable to sail than either a Solo or a Laser, tacks really quickly, is easy to depower in a blow with the raking rig  and as yet I am to find anything to dislike.
Yes it floats high after a capsize but the fitting of righting lines solves that problem; it doesn't capsize anything like as easily as a Laser or Solo so the problem doesn't occur as often.
Everyone who has sailed one seems to like it.
I think the problem is purely one of numbers; the main competition is from the Laser or Solo both of which still have a massive following and get huge numbers at Opens ( and class racing at many clubs). The Supernova and the Blaze are better for slightly heavier helms I think.
The Solution is run by the class association which is small so moving it forward takes a lot of hard work and dedication.
Yes, in light winds a well sailed Laser or Solo may be quicker, but as soon as the wind is "realistic" for racing the situation sorts itself out; I have won many races on handicap against all sorts of boats, I have even beaten Phantoms on the water and more through it being a great boat than my skills !
It is not the ideal boat for everyone and is probably better suited to inland and estuaries as opposed to the open sea, but it is great for me and I would urge everyone to have a go !

iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 14 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by mangoman

is probably better suited to inland and estuaries as opposed to the open sea,

What makes you say that? Is it a bit nosey? On the face of it you'd thing it would be a great sea boat, and with the centreboard not bad for launch recovery..
mangoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mangoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 14 at 4:26pm
Yes you are probably right actually; there is no reason why it should not be good on the sea.
 I have not had the opportunity to sail on the sea so I take back my comment until I do .....

It is certainly not prone to nosediving ( well not on the Broads anyway), it is wide enough to hike without getting uncomfortable and it is certainly lots of fun downwind.

I would say it is also easier to move around on land than its direct competitors

You really need to try one !

iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 14 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by mangoman

Yes you are probably right actually; there is no reason why it should not be good on the sea. I have not had the opportunity to sail on the sea so I take back my comment until I do .....It is certainly not prone to nosediving ( well not on the Broads anyway), it is wide enough to hike without getting uncomfortable and it is certainly lots of fun downwind.I would say it is also easier to move around on land than its direct competitorsYou really need to try one !

There was one for sale on apolloduck probably a bit more than I want to spend for a winter lake stand in, but it picqued my interest. Not least I'd love to find out why it isn't as quick as it ought to be on paper.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 34>