FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS aero

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 141>
Author
kneewrecker View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RS aero
    Posted: 29 Sep 14 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Rupert

Meanwhile, Aero sailors will be out sailing, probably with no idea that the Y&Y forum exists.

Agree with last bit, not so sure about the first bit though if they've got to wait until next season.  

It's a plastic beach boat - not sure why anyone would bother waiting to be brutally honest.

Null View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Null Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 14 at 11:38am
Originally posted by ajbaldwin

I sailed one a couple of weeks ago at Menorca Sailing.  Had a go in the big rig the 9m sail on what was probably a 3 gusting a 4.  First impression is that it is very quick upwind. With my weight moved back (and I am 95kg) it appeared to plane fairly easily and did seem quick.  Downwind I didn't seem to able to sail it dead downing like a laser (this may be my technique) and an instructor advised to sail it more like a Assy.

Hiking position was good although the boat did feel a little bit like a improved Pico (which may be good or bad).  My main gripe, and I doubt this will be an issue in the UK was that I sailed it in just a pair of board shorts and I wished I had boots on after about 5 mins as the antislip surface was sharp on the feet and knees.

I found the sheeting from the boom without the need for a transom  Bridle to be strange at first, but this does make the Gybe a lot easier than on a laser.

Overall I enjoyed the Aero although this was just a blast around the bay for an hour or so

How many did Menorca have when you were over there?
ajbaldwin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ajbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 14 at 11:40am
They have just the one, but with all 3 rig choices
Yorkshire Dales SC
Vareo 505

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 14 at 11:42am
Originally posted by ajbaldwin

Downwind I didn't seem to able to sail it dead downing like a laser (this may be my technique) and an instructor advised to sail it more like a Assy.

that's interesting- sounds familiar to my windsurfer.  Going dead downwind is really only something I can do in the very lightest of drifts- even then it pays to take the wobble out and sail deep angles.  
ajbaldwin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ajbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 14 at 11:46am
For reference I "raced" it round the island when I was sailing a RS100 and upwind they seemed fairly well matched (me in a 8.4 the Aero on the 9) downwind obviously no contest.
Yorkshire Dales SC
Vareo 505
boatbasher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote boatbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 14 at 11:52am
Originally posted by SimonW99

Perhaps they are all out sailing...
Or perhaps they have better things to do than lurk here  Smile

Well that got your topic moving

Seems there is nothing to say because no-one has one yet ... probably shipping early production to the main market which is no doubt the institutions
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 14 at 11:57am
This is what I don't understand. Both boats were launched at pretty much the same time.

You would have thought with the RS machine behind it the Aero would have stolen a march on the Zero on getting boats to market but the reverse has been the case. Devoti have stepped up production and doubled the number of moulds to cope with the current demand. There are a lot of happy owners now out there and the lead time from ordering to delivery (I am told) is now 2-3 weeks.

Anyway we digress....again.....

Interesting to know the Menorca sailing have an Aero (and presumably a load more on order for the 2015 season). Be interesting to know how many of their 350 orders are individuals and how many are for institutions.....
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
ajbaldwin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ajbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 14 at 12:03pm
I think that the Menorca sailing one was given\loaned to them by RS, which isn't a bad idea as it did get a lot of use as most people had a go in it.
Yorkshire Dales SC
Vareo 505

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 14 at 12:14pm
there seems to be a few loan boats available to 'spread the message'.... Bowmoor has a couple apparently, not sure how many actual punters have taken delivery yet.
phil wright View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote phil wright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 14 at 12:59pm
Gurnard has had ten boats delivered so far with several more on order, five out yesterday. Sailing off PY's 1035 for the Aero9; 1065 for the Aero7 and 1102 for the Aero5, these seem about right and give close finishes. I started sailing my Aero7 in July and find it very straightforward to sail and vice free. Downwind can be sailed just like a laser but in some wind strengths it pays to sail the angles like an asymmetric. Upwind will point high, but footing seems to pay in most conditions. It will take some time yet to learn how to get the best out of the flexible rig. We will start to make much more progress at the start of beginning of next season when we expect to be class racing much of the time. On Saturday 11th October we will be having an Aero Open. If anyone wants to join us PM me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 141>