FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS aero

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 141>
Author
Medway Maniac View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 16 at 5:29am
Originally posted by SimonW99

If buying new and you don't have a Laser fleet, why would you buy one....... 

Well, as I've mentioned before, the guy on the Minorca Sailing stand at the Dinghy Show said that their punters generally preferred the Laser to the Aero. More stable and easier to find somewhere to sit downwind.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 16 at 12:02am
The lightening was the forerunner of the supernova, the current iteration of which I sailed and really liked for several years. The Laser has been set in concrete for years whereas the Supernova has evolved. I was a long time Laser sailor at club level and have no issue with anyone sailing one where there is a fleet. However its appalling lack of development is a joke and the Aero, D-Zero and Supernova are all much nicer and faster boats to sail. So, if your club has any of the latter, then get one of those! If buying new and you don't have a Laser fleet, why would you buy one....... 

Oh and Rupert, the Solo is a great boat, but has evolved..

Edited by SimonW99 - 05 Jun 16 at 12:04am
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 16 at 8:53pm
Of course. I told him he was a deluded fool, and only the purchase of an Aero would save him. At the time I was putting the cover back on my Lightning, wishing that I too was sailing the boat of joy and fulfillment, having spent the day coaching a poor man who had bought a new Solo, who cried all day, having not bought a lightweight bringer of happiness.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 16 at 8:38pm
I was talking to someone today who had just been out sailing in his new (to him) Laser. Words such as "great fun", and "lovely" were used, and at no point "unrewarding".

I hope you explained to him how wrong minded and mistaken he was Wink
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Laser 189635
DY 59
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 16 at 8:36pm
I was talking to someone today who had just been out sailing in his new (to him) Laser. Words such as "great fun", and "lovely" were used, and at no point "unrewarding".
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
Oinks View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 16 at 8:27pm
Compared to other boats Lasers are unrefined and unrewarding to sail. If you can find a club fleet where there are enough boats to constitute a decent race, fair enough. Twenty years ago, we'd have 15-20 Lasers out racing on a Sunday. Not now, and people are starting to look more modern singlehanders that give a better sailing experience. Just the way it is from my POV.
bustinben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bustinben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 16 at 9:48am
...and not to mention the fact that a fair amount of the people who do the qualifiers don't do the nationals, as they're off on the international circuit during the summer.  Lasers also get class starts at a lot of clubs so you won't get PY returns from them.

Edited by bustinben - 03 Jun 16 at 9:48am
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 16 at 7:18am
The only reason the Laser and Radial aren't right up there in the Y&Y Nationals Attendance Table, as well, is because the NAT doesn't count the sailors who do the Masters nationals instead of the open Nationals. Add those who do the Masters Nationals in, and the Laser and Radial both move ahead of many trendier boats.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 16 at 4:16pm
Judging by the PY returns the Laser is by far the most actively raced class in the UK. If the Aero could take over that spot I'm sure they'd be happy.

Edited by JimC - 01 Jun 16 at 4:16pm
PaulPoshW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PaulPoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 16 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by iiiiticki

I observe that 'it all going wrong' is a feature of the class.......

Having flicked through the open meeting attendance/results it doesn't yet appear to be all going right. 

With 1000 boats delivered will the Aeros soon be littering boat parks in the same way as many of the un-sailed lasers of the world?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 141>