FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scoring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Andy K View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Andy K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scoring
    Posted: 09 Sep 14 at 11:29am
Looking at the Frampton Enterprise Open Meeting, 7th Sept.
The skipper with 4,2,1,1 beat the skipper with 2,2,1,1.
Don't you think that the count-back rules need a bit of a looking at?
jeffers View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 14 at 12:29pm
I depends on how they apply them. 

I seem to recall that you can modify how you do countback from the 'standard' most 1sts, most 2nds, Last race both boats sailed.

Looks like here they are saying the last race will be used as the first tie break point before most 1sts, mosts 3nds, etc...

The guy who was 2nd wrote the report so cannot have been too upset over it.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 14 at 1:41pm
Rule 90.3 and Appendix A of the RRS.

Standard is as above (most 1sts, most 2nds as initial tie break then the last race).

I would imagine the SIs stated the scoring was to use last race as the tie break.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Ian29937 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian29937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 14 at 1:56pm
This was scored as per standard.  The 4th was an excluded score so isn't included in the countback.

They tied on results
They had the same scores on countback (1,1,2)
The boat which won the last race won.

jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 14 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Ian29937

This was scored as per standard.  The 4th was an excluded score so isn't included in the countback.

They tied on results
They had the same scores on countback (1,1,2)
The boat which won the last race won.

You are correct indeed correct!
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 14 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by jeffers

I seem to recall that you can modify how you do countback from the 'standard' most 1sts, most 2nds, Last race both boats sailed.

The problem here (such as it is) is not with the tie-breaker rules in Appendix A but with the 'number of races required for a drop' setting in the SI.

But 4 completed races for a drop in a 6 or 7 race series is pretty conventional.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 14 at 4:33pm
Yep. the current fashion in scoring systems is that an excluded race is completely excluded and isn't used as a tiebreak. You can make arguments both ways. In this case it made for a more exciting last race I think.
Ian29937 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian29937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 14 at 5:38pm
Why do we have discards in the first place? - My understanding was that it allowed for exceptional circumstances not to spoil someones event as a DNF/DNS can have a significant effect on a series result
e.g. If someone has an unexpected boat breakage or a delay in arriving at an event due to breakdown, accident etc or for longer series, personal reasons for not attending a number of races.
If you accept that these are reasonable exclusions, it seems logical that everyone should be able to discard the same number of races and that these should not be included in any count backs etc
Ian
gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 14 at 9:04pm
Some events don't have discards - the Dragon Gold Cup never has, for instance.
Gordon
Andy K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andy K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 14 at 8:57am
As I understand it, a competition should be won by the skipper with the best scores.
I don't really care about the current SI's
The guy with the best scores didn't win.
OK, all skippers knew the regs.regarding the race, but someone, somewhere, in time gone past, has tweaked these regs. And now it is as though it they set in stone.
They are not, and I still think that the wrong skipper won!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>