FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser 5000, where are they?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
laserboy404 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote laserboy404 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser 5000, where are they?!
    Posted: 04 Sep 14 at 6:04pm
That 14 looks a good buy, but I imagine the (massive) weight of the 5k probably makes it a slightly more stable platform?
Laser 159392
Javelin 53
getafix View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 14 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by laserboy404

That 14 looks a good buy, but I imagine the (massive) weight of the 5k probably makes it a slightly more boring platform?

FTFY
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 14 at 8:51pm
Richard Owens is the man.
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 14 at 9:00pm
5K was of it's time (I think the 4K was also plenty heavy enough for what it was) but not such a bad old tool depending on who you were and what you wanted from it. I knew of one that was Club sailed at a North Sea club for several years to quite good effect, sure it was bit of a brute but the two blokes who had it were fairly beefy types. I even crewed it a couple of times, once in proper wind and sea and it was fine even when the main sheet bridle parted putting us in to windward. Got it upright and I yachted it about free n fast while the helm/owner sorted a jury rig to carry on blasting about. Biggest weight was in the rig, the technique was definitely to sail the boat under the rig, once it got a lean on .................... )-;

Boss was much lighter I understand? Fragile? Any still about?
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote laserboy404 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 14 at 9:11pm
I can imagine that it would probably be far from boring... Especially given my level of skiff sailing experience (square root of FA). Somehow the weighty brutishness appeals, compared to some skiffs which look pretty flimsy!

Laser 159392
Javelin 53
Bootscooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bootscooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 14 at 9:23pm
A couple of mates of mine had a Boss until not so long ago, and swore that it was absolutely brilliant. I never had a go myself, but they're both excellent sailors and instructors whose opinion I value. Think I saw one on the Duck the other day...
Null View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Null Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 14 at 10:03pm
I got to say I enjoy my time in a boss, sure there are and were faster boats, but with the larger rules kite there weren't many.  Still bloody big heft boats, but less so then the 5k
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote laserboy404 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 14 at 10:15pm
Looks like the boss may be another option then, quick search of the duck doesn't reveal too many of them for sale either!
Laser 159392
Javelin 53
DaveT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote DaveT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 14 at 10:19pm
get an older 49er, so much nicer. the 5k is very very dated.
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote laserboy404 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 14 at 10:23pm
I'm sure it will seem pretty new fangled compared to the 44 year old Javelin which is my current whip...
Laser 159392
Javelin 53
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>