New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Multiple-Starts Sequence
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Multiple-Starts Sequence

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Medway Maniac View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 13 May 05
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2787
Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 14 at 9:49am
Thanks, Brass. I'm sure you are right, and if I were the permanent race officer I'd be automating as you suggest like a shot.

But the fact is that our ROs are different every week, most of them do the duty just twice a year, and many are no longer regular racers or even visitors to the club, so any system we introduce has to be completely fool-proof. The thought of them needing to find (it would go walkabout) an android tablet, switch it on and operate an unfamiliar app makes my heart sink, let alone what might become of a go-pro; we had a club-wide search for a printer cable a few weeks ago, which someone had 'tidied up'.

A repeat-countdown timer with auto-hoot is nonetheless something that might just work here, provided it is built-in and has just a couple of very well labelled buttons. We need to look into it.
Back to Top
jeffers View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 29 Mar 04
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3016
Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 14 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Medway Maniac

Thanks, Brass. I'm sure you are right, and if I were the permanent race officer I'd be automating as you suggest like a shot.

But the fact is that our ROs are different every week, most of them do the duty just twice a year, and many are no longer regular racers or even visitors to the club, so any system we introduce has to be completely fool-proof. The thought of them needing to find (it would go walkabout) an android tablet, switch it on and operate an unfamiliar app makes my heart sink, let alone what might become of a go-pro; we had a club-wide search for a printer cable a few weeks ago, which someone had 'tidied up'.

A repeat-countdown timer with auto-hoot is nonetheless something that might just work here, provided it is built-in and has just a couple of very well labelled buttons. We need to look into it.

This is the reason why we still use our old and creaky custom box at Hunts. The lake it a bit small for the course to cope with 3 starts on a 5-4-1-Go (as fleet 1 would be coming through the line at fleet 3 were starting).

3-2-1-Go is probably a little short too if you are intermixing the starts. With 6-3-G0 you get 3 minutes between starts (meaning any stragglers from fleet1 are gone before fleet 2 is lining up). It works well and is why we still use it. The only thing that I wish the would do it have a 1 minute warning (and drop the prep as with 5-4-1-Go) but this would currently need to be a manual process to we cannot easily do it.

There is some talk of getting an autohoot to replace what we have but knowing our committee this is likely to take years (it has already been talked about for at least 2 years).
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Back to Top
Medway Maniac View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 13 May 05
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2787
Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 14 at 11:00am
Originally posted by jeffers


This is the reason why we still use our old and creaky custom box at Hunts. The lake it a bit small for the course to cope with 3 starts on a 5-4-1-Go (as fleet 1 would be coming through the line at fleet 3 were starting).
3-2-1-Go is probably a little short too if you are intermixing the starts. With 6-3-G0 you get 3 minutes between starts (meaning any stragglers from fleet1 are gone before fleet 2 is lining up). It works well and is why we still use it. The only thing that I wish the would do it have a 1 minute warning (and drop the prep as with 5-4-1-Go) but this would currently need to be a manual process to we cannot easily do it.

So you'd ideally like a 6-3-1-go-1-go-1-go sequence, Jeffers? Maybe just a hoot but no flag-shifting at the '1'?
Back to Top
jeffers View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 29 Mar 04
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3016
Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 14 at 11:33am
No 6-3-Go for all fleets (with a 1 in case you are using  a subsitute as a prep). Would mean a lot of flag rasing and dropping though:

Fleet 1 6 - Class
Fleet 1 3 - Prep and Fleet 2 Class
Fleet 1 1 - Prep drop
Fleet 1 go - Fleet 1 class drop and prep back up for fleet 2
and so on.....

So the 3 for fleet 1 is the 6 for Fleet 2. Gives you 3 min between fleet starts.

1 min between starts is not enough, especially if you have a recall of any kind (IMO).
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Back to Top
Medway Maniac View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 13 May 05
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2787
Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 14 at 11:43am
Ah, see what you mean, Jeffers.

By 3-2-1-go, I meant we were having 3 minutes between starts, but with a flag-shift and horn every minute in the same sequence we use for 5-4-1-go.

It seems that many people using a 6-3-go rolling sequence such as you, do not bother dropping the prep till the end of the sequence.  I guess that's what you do if you're just using the P flag?

Are your club SI's available on-line?
Back to Top
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 17 May 04
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6341
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 14 at 11:52am
These are my clubs SIs. We use 4-2-go.

11 Starting Signals
Starting signals will not follow RRS rule 26, but shall be according to the following
procedure:
Each race start will have a warning signal followed by a preparatory signal, the
warning flag being as advised in the clubhouse near the course board, and the
preparatory being code flag "P". Each signal will consist of the flag and one sound
signal. Times shall be taken from the visual signals and the absence of a sound
signal shall be disregarded. The warning and preparatory flags shall remain flying
until the start time.
For a race with a single start, both flags shall be lowered at the start time. In a
multiple start sequence, where the start of one race is the preparatory signal for a
succeeding start, then the preparatory flag shall remain flying, while the warning flag
for the race which is starting is lowered.
Starting penalty flags (I, Z or Black flag), if required, will be displayed instead of the
preparatory flag.The interval between starting signals is two minutes unless specified otherwise in
supplementary instructions for a particular event.
Back to Top
jeffers View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 29 Mar 04
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3016
Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 14 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Medway Maniac

Ah, see what you mean, Jeffers.

By 3-2-1-go, I meant we were having 3 minutes between starts, but with a flag-shift and horn every minute in the same sequence we use for 5-4-1-go.

It seems that many people using a 6-3-go rolling sequence such as you, do not bother dropping the prep till the end of the sequence.  I guess that's what you do if you're just using the P flag?

Are your club SI's available on-line?

They should be online but they are not, I shall speak to out webmaster!

Yes we keep the P flag up once it is raised and then drop it at the last start (we never have cause to use a substitute as we can usually identify boats over).
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Back to Top
Medway Maniac View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 13 May 05
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2787
Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 14 at 11:59am
Thanks Jim.  Looks like a good starting point for us, but now we must wait for Brass's reaction!
Back to Top
marke View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work


Joined: 16 Jun 08
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 209
Post Options Post Options   Quote marke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 14 at 12:09pm
marke

We use a custom combined auto lights box and horn system.  Its been running for about 15 years with no failures apart from needing to replace its small configuration screen a few years ago.  Press one button at the start of the sequence and it displays the various lights and sounds the horns for up to five starts.  It also has lights for signalling OCS and general recall (and shorten course)

I have seen a few other clubs that have combined lights/horns systems, but after sailing at many clubs who used flags or buckets for signalling (which is often daunting for new OODs), I'm sort of surprised that more clubs don't invest in something similar.  I don't know how much ours cost - but I'm sure it was less than a grand from a local electronics contractor - 65 a year a bargain.

sailing instructions are  HERE
Back to Top
Medway Maniac View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 13 May 05
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2787
Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 14 at 12:55pm
Thanks marke.  We really need something like that.  

You almost certainly have an escape button; do you have dedicated for each of the recalls, individual and general?  I'm wondering what you physically do to schedule a general recall [hmm, too easy and some of our ROs might get recall happy...]
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz
Change your personal settings, or read our privacy policy