FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Multiple-Starts Sequence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Medway Maniac View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multiple-Starts Sequence
    Posted: 20 Aug 14 at 1:38pm
5-4-1-Go is great for dinghy opens with a long line and lots of boats, but our twice-a-year RO's fret over getting it + flags right, and more importantly it makes the total sequence appreciably longer than the old 6-3-Go, wherein the starts could be just 3 minutes apart instead of 5. We have race time limits of 13:00 and 17:30, and later-starting classes would appreciate more racing time, which the 5-minute start-spacing currently eats into.

I notice that other clubs, some quite prestigious, are still using the 6-3-Go sequence, so I'm thinking of proposing that we revert to it by amending the club SI's.

Any drawbacks/complications I need to be aware of?
Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 14 at 2:58pm
we use 6-3-go, with up to 11 starts in club week.  No real issues except the occasional encounter of a next fleet in sequence boat being on or near the line outside of their prep, but when its that busy we have an marked exclusion zone to help reduce those situations.

3 min sequence helps us with time being tidal and also reduces noise pollution for the neighbours.
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 14 at 3:43pm
Three minute starting sequence/cycle was never in the RRS:  it was always a local SI adaptation.

Three minutes certainly has a nice rhythm to it, and can save time, if that's genuinely an issue.

If time is not genuinely an issue, I'd stick with 5, 4, 1 Bang, as that's what your members are likely to encounter at regattas.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 14 at 3:44pm
We use 4-2-Go. I have been on an RC boat where they used 3-2-1-go, but that struck me as far too many flags and stressful on the RC crew.

Edited by JimC - 20 Aug 14 at 3:45pm
AlexM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 14 at 4:00pm
In the winter we move to 3-2-1-GO (4 fleets) as we have so many boats taking part. We moved to the system as it cuts down the time starting the all the fleets, especially if we have any general recalls. The courses we have are ave. lap (on the water committee boat start) so if we had a longer sequence boats may start coming through the line while others are starting (we have just adjusted our S.I’s to include a lapping line on the other side of the committee boat to prevent this). I've been the RO and find it fine, it is an intense 12min of a hooter going off every min with a flag movement but nothing a few people can’t handle.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 14 at 5:09pm
Thanks for the replies - very helpful and encouraging.

I hadn't considered inserting  2-1 hoots, but was taking on board your comment, Jim, about the number of flags, when I realised it is the same number of moves as 5-4-1-Go, just without the long gap between 4 and 1 when the RO and ARO  get engrossed in conversation before panicking when remembering the 1 !

Then again, everyone uses watches these days if they're serious, so  6 & 3 minute signals should suffice, I'd have thought.

I guess we'd retain the 5-4-1-Go for bigger, all-classes races, so that our members should become bilingual   Smile
moomin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote moomin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 14 at 9:25pm
The issue you may have with 6-3-Go is if you need to use black/I/Z flags as you've lost the one minute time signal so you'll also have to amend rule 30 or rely on competitors to know when the last minute before the start is without any signal. With 3-2-1-Go you have all the normal signals as a 5-4-1-Go just in a shorter time frame.
Moomin

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 14 at 9:57pm
An I flag on the WSC club line would involve people portaging their boats through the dinghy park, but I take your point, moomin   Smile
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 14 at 12:10am
Originally posted by JimC

We use 4-2-Go. I have been on an RC boat where they used 3-2-1-go, but that struck me as far too many flags and stressful on the RC crew.

Mate, if your RC members suffer stress at having to hoist flags and make a sound signal once a minute on a warm dry committee vessel, then you've got serious OHS risks.

Surely it's not too much to ask for race officers to keep their mind on the job during the starting sequence.

Originally posted by Medway Maniac

Thanks for the replies - very helpful and encouraging.

I hadn't considered inserting  2-1 hoots, but was taking on board your comment, Jim, about the number of flags, when I realised it is the same number of moves as 5-4-1-Go, just without the long gap between 4 and 1 when the RO and ARO  get engrossed in conversation before panicking when remembering the 1 !

Then again, everyone uses watches these days if they're serious, so  6 & 3 minute signals should suffice, I'd have thought.

I guess we'd retain the 5-4-1-Go for bigger, all-classes races, so that our members should become bilingual   Smile

A three minute starting sequence/cycle needs to contain Warning, Preparatory and Starting signals, and they will normally change on each minute:  that's what I meant by 'rhythm'.

Numerous rules other than rule 26 rely on Warning, Preparatory and Starting signals, so if you are going to do away with these signals, you will need to do major surgery on the RRS.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 14 at 12:32am
I had in mind the Warning would be the 6, and the Prep the 3....

Previous classes 3 would be the next's 6, and so on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>