FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Race Marks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
didlydon View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote didlydon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Race Marks
    Posted: 25 Feb 15 at 9:49pm
We've just bought a new Lomo mark & I've rigged it with a 5litre plastic screw top container filled with gravel & sand. That should be enough... It's just tied on the anchor line (8mm 3 strand) just below the mark, spliced to 3m of chain & to a 2.5 kg grapnel
Vareo 365

PeterG View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 15 at 10:06am
2.5kg for a grapnel sounds a bit light to me if you are on the sea, and/or subject to anything much in the way of current. I agree on the need to keep it as light as possible, but having spent too much time chasing race marks during races when the tide set in, I'd tend to go for something heavier, unless you are using pretty heavy chain. Depends on where you are laying them, of course!
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
Buzz View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Buzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 15 at 10:56am
We find 2.5Kg Bruce type anchors better at holding than a 2.5Kg grapnel.
didlydon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote didlydon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 15 at 11:51am
From experience 2.5kg is ok for us. We're over chalk rocks & sometimes the buggers really get hooked in & we have to "persuade" them out & up quite vigorously!!! 
Vareo 365

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12