FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grafham D-Zero Demo Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
kneewrecker View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grafham D-Zero Demo Day
    Posted: 03 Jul 14 at 1:33pm
Maybe most D-Zero sailors are just happy to go along- whatever the PY number allocated prior to anything official from the RYA?  They are lucky to be included.... some of those events wouldn't allow a Weta to take part for instance.
sandgrounder View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote sandgrounder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 14 at 1:39pm
To be honest, I'll be happy to compete in the SailJuice Series on a given handicap of 1010 in my D-Zero, until it finds its own level, though ultimately for me of course the attraction is fleet racing.

At the weekend a well sailed D-Zero finished 2nd in the club regatta at Grafham Water, sailing off a GL handicap of 1010 with the Lasers on 1117.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 14 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Hardly anyone owns a boat from the future, so it is difficult to get anyone taking part in such an event. Maybe the point of these events to to get a large group of sailors together to have a fun day/weekend.If you want an event showcasing the future, then you need a different approach, I think. Maybe each manufacturer supplies 10 boats which can be leased to competitors, and you then, say have 8 fleets (DZero, Aero 5, 7, 9, Icon, K2, 2 more new classes) with 80 boats on the water racing as 8 fleets of 10 for 1 1/2 days, with a giant all in race at the end where speeds can be compared. It could attract big sponsorship, be freebies for spectators, be broadcast on the interweb, have a grandstand. People would see the new product, there could be more boats there for taster sails - all in all, a grand weekend out both for competitors and for the companies trying to sell their boats. The 80 boats are sold during the event to be collected at the end.

Good idea Rupert, I wonder how many would show up in Solo's & Lasers with a five grand purse at stake and a caveat that the boat had to be 21st century in origin.
gordon1277 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 14 at 4:08pm
you would not be allowed in your EPS so last century!
Gordon
Lossc
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 14 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by kneewrecker

Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by dogslife

The secret to success seems to be to just chose the "bandit class" of the moment and if you can keep it upright you stand chance of being in the prizes no matter how inept you might otherwise be.

I challenge you to produce your club's main handicap series with the results worked out for both the current handicaps and what you think they should be.

Given the amount of DNCs on a typical club series, I think it's fair to assume most folks couldn't give a f**k for their club series results.  They do however care for their individual result on any given race, and as such, are grateful for the efforts of the results compiler...

I agree with most of that, but surely we should care about our series results - can you really be racing if you have no interest in the result? That we don't suggests that we are disengaged and club series formats have gone stale. Sorry for going off topic.
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 14 at 8:00pm
Some will care, some won't... A lot don't seem to care enough to priotise the series come rain or ill wind, nagging other-halves or visiting inlaws...

Time poor maybe.?

No wonder dinghy sailing appears more and more to be a pursuit of school age children and the retired.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 14 at 8:37pm
Yes, it is difficult to commit to doing every race every weekend. The answer though, surely is not to accept you are going for an organised cruise, but to raise the excitement levels - differentiating more between different series so that once race is not a repeat of the one before. Maybe e-mail the results out rather than posting the on some obscure link on the club website. Maybe use a more attractive way of reporting the results than a bland table of numbers that sail wave gives you. Maybe produce several sets of results from one race, so you can easily pick what matters to you - a Laser racing in a py race for example could have results not just for overall place, but singlehander, medium handicap, hiker and Laser fleet.
mongrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mongrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 14 at 9:22am
Grf's vision for dinghy sailing seems to be that everyone would need to. Buy into the latest design, with latest tech. every year or two. You'd be buying a new £12k boat every two years and selling it on for next to nothing as it would have been superseded.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 14 at 10:18am
My Vision for dinghy sailing is that everyone should be allowed to purchase and use what they wish, without others altering the rules to ensure their particular vested interest is protected, wether that be a club, class or business that supplies that club or class with goods and services.

Edited by iGRF - 04 Jul 14 at 10:26am
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 14 at 11:11am
I do exactly as you say, GRF - I buy exactly the boats I want to, and at no point has anyone stopped me, not for the last 30 years, at the point where my parents could no longer say "no". Sometimes I have bought boats where the handicap has seemed harsh for the type of water I've been sailing on. Either I've stuck with it because I like the boat, or I have changed classes to one that suits the type of water better. Occasionally, I have seen the handicaps rise on those boats in recent years, suggesting that the new system is allowing changes to reflect what real sailors are finding. Other classes, for whatever reason (results coming from one type of water would be my guess) haven't changed.

At no point have I felt that "the system" was out to get me, whether it be the RYA, my CA, other people's CA, clubs, builders or whatever. Occasionally I have come into contact with individuals with agendas of their own which are at odds with what I want to do, but that is true in any walk of life, and I would say less common in sailing than in work, say.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>