FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grafham D-Zero Demo Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
Norbas View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Norbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grafham D-Zero Demo Day
    Posted: 02 Jul 14 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Null

You will love it mate, its such a fantastic event.  I will be out in the pink sail numbered Phantom, massively over powered i should imagine and wishing i had a kite to help pay for all the handwork uphill!

I've bottled doing it in the D-Zero and taking the Laser instead. I know I'll regret it when I'm there but the thought of a shiny new boat, my iffy boat handling and 170+ other boats...  Ouch
Null View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Null Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 14 at 3:42pm
Come and say hi Norbas, be good to meet fellow Zero owners.  i will be in the Phantom with pink sail numbers!!!!!
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 14 at 6:48pm
If it ends up anywhere near 1010 I'll cancel simple as that, fast it may be, but it's not faster than the EPS off wind and I can't sail that to 1024 The only reason I was looking at it was that it's slower than the EPS with a smaller sail and less potential leverage and about the same waterline length.

Just the same as the Icon is a no go due to the ludicrous rating. (20 pts faster than a Contender on Open water I'd like to see the world finest Olympic team trying to stick that one on even an average club Contender sailor.)

They need sueing, seriously someone has to sort these idiots out.
rodney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 14 at 7:26pm
1010 has to be a personal handicap for Dan Holman sailing the Punk and has nothing to do with where the D-Zero will settle. I have tried to stay out of the PY debate but there is no way that the D-Zero will land anywhere near the 1010 area with a, relatively, small sail and Laser type righting moment (beam).

For the record the Lord Birkett organisers decided that 1044 was appropriate.

Edited by rodney - 02 Jul 14 at 7:28pm
Rodney Cobb
Suntouched Sailboats Limited
http://www.suntouched.co.uk
[EMAIL=rodney@suntouched.co.uk">rodney@suntouched.co.uk
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 14 at 7:27pm
Graeme if the ICON PY is so bad, how come they took 1st & 3rd in the handicap fleet at the PODD?

Get over it, and just enjoy sailing!!!!
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 14 at 8:48pm
What's a PODD? Some sort of sailing event for the retarded?

Bring your finest put them in an Icon and lets see how they fare against our club Contenders..

Or a Merlin.
Null View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Null Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 14 at 10:34pm
Graeme, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the Great Lakes handicap.  To be honest I think they have done the right thing.  There is little (no) data for them to py off, so if they guessed at 1050 and a zero or aero walked an event there would be uproar.  Better play safe then sorry, the right thing to do is just sail your boat.  The py will come out in the was and will be reflected on real life data, but as with any new class you will have to put up with the perils of en py for a while. Motives the numbers of boat that have sold there should be enough data to get an en for the start of the next season.

Chill out dude!  
dogslife View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote dogslife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 14 at 10:51pm
IMHO - the PY system is fast becoming a complete nonsense and is completely ruining mixed fleet/class racing. The secret to success seems to be to just chose the "bandit class" of the moment and if you can keep it upright you stand chance of being in the prizes no matter how inept you might otherwise be.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 14 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by dogslife

The secret to success seems to be to just chose the "bandit class" of the moment and if you can keep it upright you stand chance of being in the prizes no matter how inept you might otherwise be.

I challenge you to produce your club's main handicap series with the results worked out for both the current handicaps and what you think they should be.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 14 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by dogslife

IMHO - the PY system is fast becoming a complete nonsense and is completely ruining mixed fleet/class racing. The secret to success seems to be to just chose the "bandit class" of the moment and if you can keep it upright you stand chance of being in the prizes no matter how inept you might otherwise be.

That's exactly what's going on, folk dumping Phantoms now in their droves looking for the next PY friendly class the bozo's have missed.
Until there is system that's fixed in fact, that can't be gerrymandered by agenda driven or well meaning but statistically ill informed 'human error' there is just going to be a continued increase in distrust and disquiet.

Nothing can ever be 'correct' but it could be factually logical to start with driven by physics rather than stats, then if clubs want to 'mess' with it to suit their own purpose so be it, but the way things are now, it's a nonsense.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>