FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grafham D-Zero Demo Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
sandgrounder View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote sandgrounder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grafham D-Zero Demo Day
    Posted: 01 Jul 14 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by craiggo

Originally posted by sandgrounder

Originally posted by jeffers

That is what you get when you organise a club exclusive day....

It was actually a club open day at Grafham Water Sailing Club on Saturday - anyone could have turned up and taken the D-Zero or RS-Aero for a test sail.

Did they tell anyone else that?

Certainly the sailing club advertised it. I would assume that the respective manufacturers promoted it. I don't know what more to say really, sometimes in life you need to look out for things and not simply expect everything you desire to drop into your inbox.

Null View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Null Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 14 at 8:41pm
I was told it was a members only day!  People don't just make these things up.

But I do agree with you, people shouldn't expect things to drop into their inbox.m so I would think a club the size of grafham would publicise it's open day?
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 14 at 8:43pm
It doesn't personally bother me either way, just a shame to hear that more people weren't there.

As an avid sailing geek who likes to be aware of what's going on, I have to admit to having seen very little in way of advertising for the event.

From what I've seen, all the other demo days at smaller clubs have had sufficient numbers to keep the boats on the water all day, with little advertising from the manufacturers.

So either Grafham don't have many interested parties within the club, in which case why hold a demo day unless you are going to advertise wider, or the manufacturers/dealers assumed that Grafham would draw people in for them as its often touted as being one of the best inland waterways (albeit a tad soulless).
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 14 at 9:26pm
I'm a Grafham member, I knew about the open day because they borrowed a Sailability boat to give rides in.  I didn't know about the demos until the last minute.  For the previously arranged one they actually circulated the information after the demo was meant to happen.  The previous demo was intended for members only.

The Challengers were racing in their annual regatta, they sail out of Grafham Water Centre next door.
the same, but different...

Blue One View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blue One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 14 at 12:16am
Such a shame I did not know about this until after the event, especially after not being able to make the new date for the hunts demo. I would have been there in a shot.

Oh well, such is life.  Cry

Post Options Post Options   Quote sandgrounder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 14 at 8:16am
Originally posted by craiggo

As an avid sailing geek who likes to be aware of what's going on, I have to admit to having seen very little in way of advertising for the event.

From what I've seen, all the other demo days at smaller clubs have had sufficient numbers to keep the boats on the water all day, with little advertising from the manufacturers.

So either Grafham don't have many interested parties within the club, in which case why hold a demo day unless you are going to advertise wider, or the manufacturers/dealers assumed that Grafham would draw people in for them as its often touted as being one of the best inland waterways (albeit a tad soulless).

"Having seen very little...." - you either saw something or you didn't.

I understand an earlier RS-Aero demo day, subsequently cancelled, was advertised as members only. I have no idea why that was, and would see it as a perfect opportunity to attract potential new members.

Anybody with a serious interest in the D-Zero or RS-Aero would have had little difficulty finding out about the open demo day on Saturday 29th June, it was advertised in a timely manner and both manufacturers were obviously aware of it.

In the event, Sunday was a significantly better day in terms of breeze (10 - 14kts) and the D-Zeros were on the water continuously from 10:00 until 17:00. This resulted in 3 orders being placed for the D-Zero, one of them being for myself. I suspect that Devoti Sailing / Suntouched Sailboats, at least, are pleased with the return on their investment over the week-end.

You are indeed correct concerning Grafham Water being a great stretch of inland water, with the ability to set 3 championship courses concurrently, and with limited topographical impact.

Edited by sandgrounder - 02 Jul 14 at 8:32am
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 14 at 8:29am
Originally posted by sandgrounder

I understand an earlier RS-Aero demo day, subsequently cancelled, was advertised as members only. I have no idea why that was.

Because this is what people who enquired about booking a time slot were told. I myself was told this initially. It was then later changed before it got cancelled.

It was the same for the earlier D-Zero day (which also got cancelled I believe).

Good to hear the startings of an embryonic fleet at Grafham though. I shall have to bring mine over when it arrives and when there are some others there (if the other 2 are going to be local boats).

Plus if you look at the Y&Y banner the 7th June date for Grafham for the D-Zero does clearly state Members Only.

As it is it seems that a great day was had by all. Any idea how many Aeros were ordered or did people go for the D-Zero?
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Post Options Post Options   Quote sandgrounder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 14 at 8:38am
Originally posted by jeffers

Plus if you look at the Y&Y banner the 7th June date for Grafham for the D-Zero does clearly state Members Only

Maybe, but that was cancelled, so a moot point. Saturday 28th June was an open demo day, end of story.

All 3 D-Zeros will be based at Grafham Water, and there is significant interest to build on that initial batch. You would be very welcome to come and join us over the winter, very attractive winter rates.

Edited by sandgrounder - 02 Jul 14 at 8:44am
Punky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Punky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 14 at 9:30am
Great news on the new boat SG!

I have seen D Zero demo dates advertised but I haven't seen any UK Aero dates published anywhere.  I'm not sure how anyone knows how/where to try one - am I blind?  I even had a deposit down on one and still didn't get any info.  Yes, I know I could have contacted them, but I'm not sure the punter should have to do the chasing!

At least Grafham allowed club members to try the boats (and the public too!).  Chew decided that it wasn't in the interest of existing fleets to allow the boats to be demo'ed there.
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 14 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Punky

I have seen D Zero demo dates advertised but I haven't seen any UK Aero dates published anywhere.  I'm not sure how anyone knows how/where to try one - am I blind?  I even had a deposit down on one and still didn't get any info.  Yes, I know I could have contacted them, but I'm not sure the punter should have to do the chasing!

There was something on the Aero thread and a poster on the RS website giving details of the demo tour.

I was trying to get to the Grafham one but was not aware it happened last weekend after the previous one has been canned. This was despite RS knowing I was interested having booked me a spot on the first date.

Bit late now though, I have a Zero on order.....
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>