FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inner & Outer distance marks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inner & Outer distance marks
    Posted: 23 Jun 14 at 2:15pm
I think we'd need to see the exact wording, but I'm sure I've seen legit SIs that provide for DSQ without a hearing.

Whether its wise or fair might be another discussion!

Edited by JimC - 23 Jun 14 at 2:20pm
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 14 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by JimC

I think we'd need to see the exact wording, but I'm sure I've seen legit SIs that provide for DSQ without a hearing.

I have seen this at the Scorpion Nationals. Stated that between the IDM and the committee boat was deemd non-navigable and any boat entering this was expected to retire immediately or would be given a DNE.

Didn't prevent a lot of push and shoving at the end of the line though!.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 14 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by alstorer

A recent event I was at had no IDM but did have in the SIs that touching the committee boat would be grounds for instant disqualification with no hearing. 

Is this SI compliant with the RRS?

Originally posted by jeffers

Originally posted by JimC

I have seen this at the Scorpion Nationals. Stated that between the IDM and the committee boat was deemd non-navigable and any boat entering this was expected to retire immediately or would be given a DNE.

Didn't prevent a lot of push and shoving at the end of the line though!.

Rule 86.1( a ) lists the rules that SI CANNOT change.

SI can change anything in Part 5 Protests etc except rule 69 and rules 70 and 71 Appeals.

So your SI can rewrite the whole protest and penalisation process if you are silly enough.

Providing for DNE without a hearing, I agree may be unwise and unfair.

Interesting if the SI 'deem' the space between the RC vessel and the distance mark to be non-navigable.

You then have a starting mark (the RC Vessel) or possibly two starting marks (the RC Vessel and the distance mark) NOT surrounded by navigable water, so rules 18, 19, and 20 apply, in their entirety to the starting marks when boats are approaching them to start (Preamble to Section C).

That is, they have just re-introduced the Pro-Barging Rule.

Edited by Brass - 23 Jun 14 at 11:49pm
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 14 at 4:25pm
ouch! Shows the problem with unintended consequences of re-writing rules!

Also highlights an issue with using (kindly lent) private yachts for committee boats. Dedicated committee boats will generally be far less worried about the odd "ding" arising from someone miscalculating.
-_
Al
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12