FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BAR and the America@s Cup 35th Edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
kneewrecker View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BAR and the America@s Cup 35th Edition
    Posted: 11 Jun 14 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Jamesd

I think the word on the grape vine is that Dunstone and Mills will put the money if it doesn't turn up. Which is probably why they are on the board desperately trying to find it. I'm not sure whether they will 'top the pot up' if a sponsor hands out a £80mil cheque. 

@TalkTalk customers, time to switch before the price increase  LOL
Mark Jardine View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Jardine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 14 at 10:07am
Having chatted to them yesterday, the money is there. There's no question of only 40% being raised so far - there is £80 million for this campaign and I don't think there's even as issue if more is needed. The financial backers have committed to this totally and are going to carry it through.

As to whether they can win, read my piece at www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/176838/Ben-Ainslie-Racing-Americas-Cup-launch . The dice are loaded (and always have been) when it comes to the America's Cup, but this is a shaping up to be a very good shot at turning the tables.

I'm behind the team 100%.

Edited by Mark Jardine - 11 Jun 14 at 10:07am

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 14 at 10:26am

Ainslie needs to drum up the interest in this country and get it broadcast on the BBC or SKY so that the television rights filter down through. 

There was a great Kiwi article for 34, written very blue collar, but basically said it didn't give a crap about the flamboyance of it all, or really what the tactics were.  It just said that they were backing Dean Barker and NZL because they were NZL- and that was enough to mean something.  

I'd love to find it again and I wonder whether Ainslie has the same good grace from his own country as Barker seemingly enjoyed from his.  As a fellow 'island nation' it would seem natural that we should have the same level of patriotism, but I just don't know.... the UK is more divided and unpatriotic than ever, anyone else notice even the pikey cars aren't decorated with UJs this World Cup???  
Jamesd View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamesd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 14 at 11:14am
Originally posted by kneewrecker

Ainslie needs to drum up the interest in this country and get it broadcast on the BBC or SKY so that the television rights filter down through. 

There was a great Kiwi article for 34, written very blue collar, but basically said it didn't give a crap about the flamboyance of it all, or really what the tactics were.  It just said that they were backing Dean Barker and NZL because they were NZL- and that was enough to mean something.  

I'd love to find it again and I wonder whether Ainslie has the same good grace from his own country as Barker seemingly enjoyed from his.  As a fellow 'island nation' it would seem natural that we should have the same level of patriotism, but I just don't know.... the UK is more divided and unpatriotic than ever, anyone else notice even the pikey cars aren't decorated with UJs this World Cup???  

That is because during the world cup, we are English and not British. But yeah i have felt this world cup has been a lot quieter. 
I'm not sure i fully agree with it being unpatriotic.....look at what wiggins and froome did for cycling. I know a lot of people who do not have the foggiest about cycling but were really excited about it. Same with Murray and tennis.......I cannot stand him, but found myself cheering. 
It really is the perfect british story....some yanks stole a cup from us, and we are sending a knight to get it back. It will be a slog. unfortunately for Ainslie, he is british, so there will always be a nail biting finish and he is the underdog. Oh and it is sailing, and we have a lot of history with navys and sailing. I think it is about as british as it gets. I think even the chavs can get behind that if it is sold to them in the right way. Even better is that every brit loves getting one up on the yanks....almost as much as the aussies and the french....both of which Ben has to do before he can get there. 
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 14 at 6:42pm
I am very excited about even the most whimsical of thoughts that the Cup might return to where it all began. And this isn't a whimsical thought; it's a solid one. I am behind BAR 100%.

However, I'm worried about what the past records suggest is likely to be possible. How many countries/teams have won at their first try?

Of course, it's not like Ben hasn't been out there on these big cats already! Several team members have cup experience at the highest level....just not under the BAR banner.

I must go read 'Born to Win' again!
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 14 at 8:44pm
He even got to announce it on Radio 2 at peak listening time, so the wider interest must be out there, even if on here the AC is looked at with a pinch of salt - expensive toys for a very exclusive market. Personally, I'm looking forward to watching it all develop. Maybe it will bring a boost for beach cats in its wake.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 14 at 8:45am
Rumour I heard was that if Red Bull put some readies in, then Dietrich Mateschitz would insist that this is an Austrian, at least joint Austrian challenge.  I bet that's a deal breaker for Serben.
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 14 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Rupert

He even got to announce it on Radio 2 at peak listening time, so the wider interest must be out there, even if on here the AC is looked at with a pinch of salt - expensive toys for a very exclusive market. Personally, I'm looking forward to watching it all develop. Maybe it will bring a boost for beach cats in its wake.

No maybe for me, I'm thinking that launching a cat just before the AC kicks off next time would be a very shrewd move, looking forward to it

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12