FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

405 racing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bowza123 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote bowza123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 405 racing
    Posted: 08 Jun 14 at 12:57pm
I really like 405 dinghies and I am wondering how many people they will fit in.
I would sail only with a crew when racing but am wondering if they are still competitively raced if not what other two man trapeze boat that size are there
zippyRN View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zippyRN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 14 at 4:17pm
the 405 as in the mid -late 90s  young youth boat ... ?
Time Lord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Time Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 14 at 5:01pm
We have a couple at my club which were bought for junior sailing but are now barely used. They can only be sailed competitively by small crews in mid-teens.
Merlin Rocket 3609
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 14 at 5:05pm
Not sure what else there is that size with an assy - the boat that Topper build that is smaller than the Xenon, maybe? Can't remember the name.

Better to go for a 420 and get some close racing?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
zippyRN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zippyRN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 14 at 10:01am
tine lord

IIRC they  were designed for 100- 130 kg  crew weight all up 

part ofthe reasoning behind the competition that  spawned the 405 and the failures  was to stop the max age + foetus  crews in cadet / mirror 
NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 14 at 8:06pm
The Hobie 405 was / is a nice kids boat.  It used to be over-priced, probably due to being the RYA assymetric yoof boat before the 29er.

With not many people in 405s these days it's a big step from the (no trapeze) RS Feva to the (fast and wobbly) 29er.

The 420 is old fashioned and has lots of restrictive class rules - the ONLY reason to sail one is as an RYA approved boat on the way to a 470 or if for some other strange reason you really want a symetric kite .. complete with manual pole launching and all the fun of sheets / guys / twinners and pole height adjustment.  Nasty nasty ugly thing and sailed by the uber competitive.

Laser 3000s are pretty cheap and not that much more powerful - especially if you get one with a reefable main.  

Up to age 12 / 13 ish the Feva isn't a bad boat if you want class racing and don't want a trapeze; but the 405 is better if you don't.

Edited by NickA - 14 Jul 14 at 8:09pm
Javelin 558
Contender 2574
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 14 at 9:44am
Maybe you might want a symmetric kite because they are far more suitable for many stretches of water in the UK? Maybe the OP doesn't, but dismissing the most popular worldwide youth class by saying the only reason to sail one is because you dream of Olympic glory simply isn't true. Our Juniors have had great fun over the years in the ones we have, once they have overcome the symmetric fear. I've had fun in them myself, too.

Otherwise, I quite agree about the huge step from Feva to 29er, and wish there was a roto boat of about 13 feet with a trap and assy for the Feva sailors to stretch themselves in, but all the bigger plastic boats are huge lumps compared, and the Topaz range just seem to lack something.

How about it, RS?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 14 at 9:22pm
PS:  my main race boat these days is a symetric and it's lots of fun!  But I wouldn't have liked it when I was younger and it's near impossible to single hand (too many ropes, never mind the power).

Anyway it strikes me that the question was how many people will fit, rather than how good are they.

The answer is TWO, maybe one.  

I used to sail myself and two 8yr olds in a laser 2, and we did once squeeze four people in, but they're bigger than a 405.   The 405 should be easily single-handable mind - as are the 3000 and the topper buzz (if you're over 70kg).  Else wise in smallish trapeze asymetrics that can take a range of numbers, the RS500 is too powerful for single handing, the 29er too tippy, the Topaz .......hmm.

A "Feva +" with a bigger rig and a trapeze is what's required!
Javelin 558
Contender 2574
The Big Wednesday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Big Wednesday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 19 at 3:32pm
Somewhat late in the day but better late than never.  The Hobie 405 was designed as the RYA Intermediate Youth Training dinghy so probably not suitable for those who are adult and lardy.  It's more challenging than a Feva or Topaz, and the like but more manageable tham a 29-er.  If you're looking for a single trapeze asymmetric youth training dinghy (other than the tippier 29'er) the Hobie 405 is the only (and best) option.  My son is 13 and moved up from a Tera to the 405 with no issues.

Below is a new online resource for junior sailors interested in finding out about the HOBIE 405, a performance dinghy that was (and is) much ahead of its time in many respects. The Hobie 405 was designed from the ground up as the RYA intermediate youth training dinghy, not a leisure boat with go-faster add-ons. With great build quality, an asymmetric, single wire and PY of 1089 it  ticks a lot of teenage boxes and still offers a manageable and very affordable entry into real asymmetric sailing for younger sailors.  With competitive 2nd hand examples often around the £500.00 mark with combi, what's not to like?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/309480016377777/

Edited by The Big Wednesday - 09 Mar 19 at 1:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply