FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cheeki Rafiki

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheeki Rafiki
    Posted: 20 May 14 at 7:42pm
I assume you mean self inflating lifejacket?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Oatsandbeans View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 14 at 7:47pm
Yes, having a self inflating lifejacket on in the dark in an upside down boat, when you are in an air pocket and have to swim out does not sound like a lot of fun to me. I would take my chance on the other scenarios where a self inflating one may be better ( boom on the head knocked overboard), as the keel falling off and getting put of the sinking hull is so unpleasant. I want everything going for me and having a life jacket inflate just after I have started my,swim out, sounds like my worst nightmare!
Telltale View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Telltale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 14 at 10:18pm
First of all I have little knowledge of how to fix a keel to a thin/light hull, but on a windsurfing mast foot part of the construction includes a tether, (see pic).
The idea is that if the mast foot universal joint fails, the tether keeps the board and mast attached.

Could the keel not be tethered to the boat with a high tech rope glassed into the hull, even if it didn't last long it might give you time for a mayday, life boat launch.

Edited by Telltale - 20 May 14 at 10:20pm
Oatsandbeans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 14 at 7:28am
Having your keel fall off the hull and then be tethered to the hull with a length of rope would not probably help the situation. It would not stabilise the boat, so it would still flip over, you then would have the keel banging against the hull. So if the hull had watertight integrity when the keel came off, it wouldn't for long with the keel banging into it.
What you need is a well engineered hull shell, internal structure, fixing details and keel structure. This is a chain and the weakest element in the chain can lead to a failure. What you don't want is to lose the integrity of the hull skin as that is critical to keeping the boat afloat , even if inverted, for as long as possible. The whole thing has to take the normal sailing loads without failure, but also has to fail in a progressive and controllable manner if it sees an extreme loading, eg. Hitting an object at speed-again without letting the water in!
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 14 at 8:14am
The other thing is to ensure that the gear is strapped down so that things ike the batteries are not escaping as you try to.  A big bank of batteries is also a threat to the hull integrity when it drops from 6 feet up.  But there is no reason that these things woul prevent the crew from being alive inside, or on the raft.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 14 at 9:16pm
BBC reports a US warship has found the hull, capsized and minus keel. They've knocked on the hull ad received no response.
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 14 at 9:34pm
On the basis that the USCG will call off the search in the morning, would they have put a beacon on the hull to allow future recovery?
Noah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 14 at 7:40am
USCG Report that the life raft is still on board. http://www.uscgnews.com/go/doc/4007/2168318/. My thoughts are for the families now. RIP.
Nick
D-Zero 316

iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 14 at 10:53am
Not the outcome anyone would have wished, but it's good that the USCG have done what they have to bring a little closure, everyone in the sailing communities thoughts will be with the family. RIP.
pondscum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondscum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 14 at 8:05pm
Andy Bridge was a Cadet sailor at my club Frensham. Awful.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12